• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Achtung! Minen!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Achtung! Minen!

BBC News - Milford Haven: WWII mine in waterway blown up

It's amazing how these things keep turning up.

Then again, we seem to have lost one or two really really really big ones on the Western Front that we forgot to set off.

BOOMED!
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Only one?

Here's a real unexploded bomb:

• 286 × 2,000 lb (910 kg) high explosive "Blockbuster" bombs[7]
      • 4,439 × 1,000 lb (450 kg) bombs of various types
      • 1,925 × 500 lb (230 kg) bombs
      • 2,815 fragmentation bombs and bomb clusters
      • Various explosive booster charges
      • Various smoke bombs, including white phosphorus bombs
      • Various pyrotechnic signals

According to a BBC news report in 1970,[8] it was determined that if the wreck of the SS Richard Montgomery exploded, it would throw a 1,000-foot-wide (300 m) column of water and debris nearly 10,000 feet (3,000 m) into the air and generate a wave 16 feet (5 m) high. Almost every window in Sheerness (pop. c20,000) would be broken and buildings would be damaged by the blast. However news reports in May 2012 (including one by BBC Kent) stated that the wave could be about 4 feet (1 m) high, which although lower than previous estimates would be enough to cause flooding in some coastal settlements.[9][10]

Comment

Did anyone hear the Colonel Bogey March around the area at the time?
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

In all fairness, Sheppy could be sunk without too much loss to humand kind.

Comment

Working...
          X