• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Olympics - Under budget? Nope...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olympics - Under budget? Nope...

But if you spin it right... BBC News - London Olympics 'to come in £476m under budget'

The £9.3bn budget, which included a £2bn contingency, was set in 2007 and was almost four times the estimated cost at the time London bid in 2005.

The budget was revised upwards after taking into account previously overlooked costs such as VAT, increased security costs, and an expanded brief for the Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) to regenerate the lower Lea Valley area.
    So, £476m remains of the contingency, you know, there for risk and emergencies... I.e. not part of the actual budget. And this was AFTER they increased it four-fold from the original bid estimate...

If i managed budgets in this manner, my client would have me off site before he could get his shoe back from up my backside!

I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

I know, this really tickled me. It's akin to listening to MF for financial advice....

Comment

They made massive savings by only using a few goats and cows for the opening ceremony.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
        I know, this really tickled me. It's akin to listening to IMF for financial advice....
        FTFY

Comment

Meh, if they dont waste it one way they'll waste it another.

Comment

The games were never going to come in under budget. A couple of months ago an IOC official was on LBC and admitted the budget submitted in the hosting bid was deliberately low (ie as a loss leader) so as to ensure cost didn't blow out the London bid.

Probably explains why my Olympics swimming tickets are costing £150 a pop.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
              Probably explains why my Olympics swimming tickets are costing £150 a pop.
              You actually bought some tickets?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                You actually bought some tickets?

Olympic legacy, kids and all that...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  They made massive savings by only using a few goats and cows for the opening ceremony.

HTH
                  I was think of ordering several tonnes of horse manure and getting delivered to the stadium on night before opening.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    I was think of ordering several tonnes of horse manure and getting delivered to the stadium on night before opening.
                    It's easier to move ceremony to the Stadium of Dreams.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X