• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IOW Recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IOW Recommendations

Missus wants to go the the Isle of Wight at the end of June for a long weekend. Haven't really been for a while & I seem to recall the places on the south coast of the island (well, Sandown) having gone a little downhill.

Anyone know any nice places to stay over there? Probably want to be in a town so we can go round a few bars etc in the evening. I'm thinking Cowes but I'm open to suggestions. TIA

Sorry for the thread hijack but I'd also be interested to hear of recommendations for campsites that I can take the kids to for a few days in a tent.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
      Sorry for the thread hijack but I'd also be interested to hear of recommendations for campsites that I can take the kids to for a few days in a tent.
      Even though I said I haven't really been for a while, I actually spent a night in a campsite there last year as part of a stag do:

Comforts Farm

Cheap, friendly, clean, uncrowded & there was a pub just down the track.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
        Missus wants to go the the Isle of Wight at the end of June for a long weekend. Haven't really been for a while & I seem to recall the places on the south coast of the island (well, Sandown) having gone a little downhill.

Anyone know any nice places to stay over there? Probably want to be in a town so we can go round a few bars etc in the evening. I'm thinking Cowes but I'm open to suggestions. TIA
        Try the Union Inn if you want to stay in Cowes. Not a lot to do there once you have wandered up and down the Parade and the High Street. Good to sit and chill on a sunny day and it's got a good few pubs still.

UnionInn

Newport is a hour down the cycle/foot path if you like a walk to the big shops.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
          Try Waverley Park in East Cowes for camping or a caravan. It has a pool to keep the kiddies amused - when I was last there, it was guarded by the owner in a futile attempt to keep the locals out!.

West Cowes (civilization) is just over the floating bridge :-)

WaverelyPark

Comment

Have you thought about staying in the Lymington area and getting over the IOW on a Ferry? Open top buses pootle all over the island. The last time we went over, we found not a lot going on, but it's a pretty island, for a quick tour. Lymington had lots to do, and there's plenty of areas nearby to camp, for the other poster.

Comment

Oh, and watch out for June 21st - 24th - Isle of Wight festival so the place will be full and transport links creaking as the punters come and go!

Comment

We're off to Thorness Bay (near Cowes) next Tuesday for 10 nights. If it's any good, I'll report back.
                If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you!

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post

I take it you have fallen on hard times
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                    Have you thought about staying in the Lymington area and getting over the IOW on a Ferry? Open top buses pootle all over the island. The last time we went over, we found not a lot going on, but it's a pretty island, for a quick tour. Lymington had lots to do, and there's plenty of areas nearby to camp, for the other poster.
                    Hmmm, worth a look - I've only ever been there to get the IOW ferry.

Comment

Working...
                    X