• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Strategies for working with Off-shore testers?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategies for working with Off-shore testers?

I need something to keep my sanity and be more productive with them.

Just when I think that I've been comprehensive (how many ways can you enter a name FFS?) they come back with a slightly different question on a theme.

Now for the purposes of this thread I'm assuming I'm the one at fault here.

So, how do I work with testers that will help them be more productive and help save my sanity??
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Just when I think that I've been comprehensive (how many ways can you enter a name FFS?) they come back with a slightly different question on a theme.

So, how do I work with testers that will help them be more productive and help save my sanity??
    They're being purposely difficult, sack the f*ckers!

Comment

Is Mich really that annoying?
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

You need to ensure that they understand that they have the ability to test the functionality of anything new within your limits & outside of it. Praise them for anything they find & recommend fixes for. After that tell them to man up.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I had this problem and in the end I just documented everything they had to do, exactly as it should be done even down to when to press ENTER. Still got questions and in the end I just failed their tests and passed the results and my documentation along to higher management who bollocked them....
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Need more information. What approach to testing are they using? Scripted or exploratory or both? Are they insisting on having everything documented before they test? If so, I'm sure AtW can recommend a machine gun.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Need more information. What approach to testing are they using? Scripted or exploratory or both? Are they insisting on having everything documented before they test? If so, I'm sure AtW can recommend a machine gun.
              Jesus man! Just test it for bugs.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Jesus man! Just test it for bugs.
                I can do that; they probably can't.

Comment

Feel your pain. We have the same problem here and it isn't just testers. If you send a task over that needs even the mearest modicum of thought it will fail spectacularly. If the task is over designed and locked down so tight there are no questions to be asked it will run very well. Past that and you are on a wish and a prayer.. and you can forget any proactive responses. Utter bloody rubbish they are.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Feel your pain. We have the same problem here and it isn't just testers. If you send a task over that needs even the mearest modicum of thought it will fail spectacularly. If the task is over designed and locked down so tight there are no questions to be asked it will run very well. Past that and you are on a wish and a prayer.. and you can forget any proactive responses. Utter bloody rubbish they are.
                    Which means spending more time and money on design that it would have cost to just code and test on location. Why do people keep falling for this offshoring con?

Comment

Working...
                    X