• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another one bites the dust....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another one bites the dust....

One of my all time favourite pubs

There aren't going to be any country pubs left round here if it carries on like this.

There seems to be a trend of selling them off to people with a view to getting change of use permission from the local authority. This is what happened to our own village local. The guy who bought it moved in and had his application turned down several times before the council finally caved in.

Now it seems that whenever a pub goes on the market, the agents are touting to people who will take a punt on getting the change of use. When you can get all this for 200k you can hardly blame them. Besides, who'd want to take in a pub in today's conditions?

I know that location. In fact there's another pub for sale in Box with loads of land.

The truth is, they're not commercially viable anymore. The locals can up and moan about it all they want but unless they put their hands in their pockets it's not worth it.

A village near me at the moment had the same issue, but the locals clubbed together and bought the pub as a co-op. To date they've sacked three set of managers.

7 bedroom pub for sale in WILTSHIRE, BOX, REF: 6697 FREEHOLD, SN13

or how about this one.

Land for sale in Bradford On Avon, Wiltshire, BA15

I'd go for that (I know it well) if I had access to spare funds.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      I know that location. In fact there's another pub for sale in Box with loads of land.

The truth is, they're not commercially viable anymore. The locals can up and moan about it all they want but unless they put their hands in their pockets it's not worth it.

A village near me at the moment had the same issue, but the locals clubbed together and bought the pub as a co-op. To date they've sacked three set of managers.

7 bedroom pub for sale in WILTSHIRE, BOX, REF: 6697 FREEHOLD, SN13

or how about this one.

Land for sale in Bradford On Avon, Wiltshire, BA15

I'd go for that (I know it well) if I had access to spare funds.
      We have been advised by HMRC that an Option to Tax on the property exists and VAT will be payable at the standard rate by the buyer.

Adds another 70k to it all...

I love BoA, and used to live just up the road in Holt, but this does seem a little over priced at what will end up being close to half a million.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
        One of my all time favourite pubs

There aren't going to be any country pubs left round here if it carries on like this.

There seems to be a trend of selling them off to people who wish to live in a village where all the locals will hate their guts for shutting down the pub.
        ftfy
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

It really is a shame to see the locals closing so often. So many in my village boarded up. I think the brewery's do have a big part to play in this though!

I think it's wrong that the more effort you put in to increase your custom you rent is then increased by the brewery. Where is the incentive to do better?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
            We have been advised by HMRC that an Option to Tax on the property exists and VAT will be payable at the standard rate by the buyer.

Adds another 70k to it all...

I love BoA, and used to live just up the road in Holt, but this does seem a little over priced at what will end up being close to half a million.
            £350k is cheap. I noticed the Option to Tax on it as well(Had to research that bit). Done up that property is worth in excess of £750k in BOA. Another property around the corner I looked at in 2000 was at £300k at the time. It's now around £800k (Should have bought at the time )

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              ftfy
              That's ok - since there's no longer a village pub they won't get to meet any of the locals

Comment

Originally posted by NickWallace87 View Post
                It really is a shame to see the locals closing so often. So many in my village boarded up. I think the brewery's do have a big part to play in this though!

I think it's wrong that the more effort you put in to increase your custom you rent is then increased by the brewery. Where is the incentive to do better?
                The business rates on a local pub are massive. Once changed to residential cheap as chips. You have to remember that business rates must be paid even if the property is empty. Coupled with the fact that the property is commercial(may even have a VAT component).

Therefore you cannot get a residential mortgage on it, so you need to buy the cash or take a commercial loan(which ain't cheap).

Locals having hissy fits about pubs they haven't properly supported over the years

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                  That's ok - since there's no longer a village pub they won't get to meet any of the locals
                  Is it really a village if it doesn't have a pub? Not in my mind; it's just a collection of buildings fairly close together.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Advised t/o for y/e 01/11 circa £313,268 (inc vat) with a trade split of 50% wet/35% food/15%letting

Probably not a lot left over by the time you've paid all your overheads. And worked your butt off 24/7 for the whole year.

Comment

Working...
                    X