• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More than 2,000 'off payroll' civil servants face tax probe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More than 2,000 'off payroll' civil servants face tax probe

"HM Revenue & Customs said it will open investigations into the “highest-risk cases” of suspected tax underpayment by senior public officials.

Exaro, the investigative news website, said that HMRC could recover up to £100 million in revenue from the crackdown. Civil servants found to have underpaid tax would have to pay money back with interest and penalties.

They could be billed for unpaid tax going back up to six years, as well as penalties of 30 per cent or more of the amounts owed.

Some accountants told Exaro that individual bills could run into tens of thousands of pounds, and HMRC could recoup a total of up to £50 million in unpaid tax and national insurance, plus another £50 million in interest and penalties.

Last month, Danny Alexander, chief secretary to the Treasury, found that over 2,400 senior public officials earning more than £58,200 a year were "off payroll". Some – said to be “dozens” – were paid this way for more than 10 years. "

They are paid through service companies, or through employment agencies. The amount of tax legally avoided could run into tens of millions of pounds.

An HMRC spokesman said: “We are currently working though the data from the Government’s recent review, alongside other intelligence to make sure the right taxes are being paid.

"We are going to investigate those cases that pose the greatest risk of tax loss, across the board.

“Many public sector engagement will already be paying the right tax as working through a Personal Service Company can be a legitimate commercial arrangement.”

HMRC also told Exaro News today: “Where there are question marks, we shall look at those cases and take action.” HMRC has already started to “risk profile” individuals identified by the Treasury review.

The spokesman added: “We shall be looking through the list. If they stand out as ‘high risk’, we shall be taking action as soon as possible.”

Officials will not be perused if HMRC had sanctioned the arrangements, he said, so long as the individuals concerned had provided the “correct information”.

The issue was about “underpayment” of tax, rather than “evasion”. HMRC would listen to officials with a “reasonable excuse” for having underpaid. He said that it was too early to say how many officials might be investigated or the total tax that could be recovered.

Priorities to be investigated in the next few months will include cases where there is a lack of evidence of a process to establish whether being paid without tax deductions was legitimate, he added.

HMRC will focus on potential breaches of IR35, a rule requiring so-called “disguised employees” with personal-service companies to pay full tax.

Alastair Kendrick, a senior tax expert at the accountants, MHA MacIntyre Hudson, said: “HMRC is unlikely to be lenient. I would be surprised if we do not see a number of public examples made.”
    "

Source: More than 2,000 'off payroll' civil servants face tax probe - Telegraph

Why do you have a habit of posting pretty much a full article from a news agency without letting us know what your opinion is on the subject?

RSS feeds do the job better than you so its not needed unless you are going to add something to the conversation, if its worth talking about it one of those on here with the power of independent thought will find it and post their view on it?!
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Why do you have a habit of posting pretty much a full article from a news agency without letting us know what your opinion is on the subject?
      Too busy I guess. Selecting some text and putting it in bold, can be done left-handed.

Comment

so they focusing on the internal side first... Lets hope those in there have insurance.

Does this mean that if they find 20 cases for investigation and all have insurance, those 20 cases could be off to court, which will help tie up Hector and keep the focus of those outside of the public sector?
        I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Read between the lines...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Read between the lines...
            You are unable to form your own opinion so post something and jump on the side of the majority to look like you fit in?!

Am I close
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

The amount of tax legally avoided could run into tens of millions of pounds.

erm....
              World's Best Martini

Comment

You are unable to form your own opinion so post something and jump on the side of the majority to look like you fit in?!

Am I close
                You are right - I hoped your opinion would help me form mine.

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
                  so they focusing on the internal side first... Lets hope those in there have insurance.

Does this mean that if they find 20 cases for investigation and all have insurance, those 20 cases could be off to court, which will help tie up Hector and keep the focus of those outside of the public sector?
                  Ironically Hector is likely to look into those cases and say nothing to see here! Now lets move on to the nasty private sector where the lines are far more blurred.

Some of the most clearly defined and bounded pieces of work have come from the Home Office...

Need own kit
                  No time sheets, sign offs on documentation instead
                  Risk and Reward
                  No Moo

Had it all with great rates as well. Yes those civil servants will be shaking in their boots...

Comment

You are right - I hoped your opinion would help me form mine.

Although sarcastic , I think that if you dont have other's opinions help form yours, its a problem? Isn't it?

On topic - This is all smoke and mirrors - the fact that the language says "Legally avoided" and trys to infer that someone could be held liable for 10 years backpayments.

HMRC are useless, just like most other public sector organisations, ruined by endless politicans reforming to try make some report make them look good.

I think this is exactly the same as the original IR35 launch - its just trying to scare people into giving themselves up.

(lol, watch HMRC knock on my door tomorrow to prove me wrong!)

Comment

Working...
                    X