• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Teflon Tony avoids arrest in Hong Kong

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teflon Tony avoids arrest in Hong Kong

"Protester tries to arrest Tony Blair in Hong Kong

Tom Grundy, from Wednesbury in the West Midlands, heckled Mr Blair as he began a speech on “faith and globalisation” in front of an audience at Hong Kong University (HKU).

The 29-year-old, who runs an “activism” and travel website called Global Citizen, said he hoped to “renew awareness” about what he called Mr Blair’s role in “war crimes” during the last Iraq war.

“I told him he had misled the British people [and] caused the deaths of at least 100,000 innocent people,” said Mr Grundy, who has lived in Hong Kong for seven years.

“In 2009 Blair admitted he would have gone to war regardless of whether Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction.”

“I wanted to keep up the pressure in terms of people conducting citizens arrests [on Mr Blair] around the world,” Mr Grundy added, claiming that the attempted arrest was supported by Hong Kong law and based on alleged violations of the Nuremburg Principles – the UN Charter and the Geneva Convention.

“He was talking about faith and globalisation and I concluded by saying that he couldn’t speak about religion because he has set religious tolerance back decades. For him to speak about religion is hilarious.”

Mr Blair reportedly told the protester: “I wouldn’t come any further ... you can go.”

Since leaving Number 10 in 2007 Mr Blair, who was in Hong Kong representing his Tony Blair Faith Foundation, has faced a growing number of attempted citizens arrests and public protests.

Last month a protester, later named as 49-year-old David Lawley-Wakelin, berated Mr Blair while he was giving evidence at the Leveson inquiry into media culture and ethics.

“This man should be arrested for war crimes,” Mr Lawley-Wakelin shouted before he was pulled away by security guards. Lord Justice Leveson subsequently ordered an investigation into how the man was allowed to get so close to Mr Blair.

Mr Grundy, who was born and raised in the Black Country but declined to say where he worked in Hong Kong, said he had not been approached by the event’s security or police and had left the venue of his own volition.

“I didn’t want to scuffle or cause too much of a scene,” he said, adding: “It was a bit of a daze for me.”

Asked how Mr Blair had reacted to the attempted arrest, Mr Grundy said: “He was the same as during the Bush and Blair era. He said something like, 'That’s democracy in action.’” “His reaction was nonchalant, as it always is.”

Source: Protester tries to arrest Tony Blair in Hong Kong - Telegraph

I hope taxpayer isn't paying for Tony's trip to Hong Kong!

Why dont these people just twat him with a brick?
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Why dont these people just twat him with a brick?
      Or a bomb.

PS Hang on, will MI5 be reading this?
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Or a bomb.

PS Hang on, will MI5 be reading this?
        God for bid! They may actually get some decent ideas...
        I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Working...
        X