• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

iPhone tethering on Three

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iPhone tethering on Three

Anyone any ideas about how Three go about detecting tethering on an iPhone. I have a monthly plan with unlimited data with them, but not their One Plan all inclusive data and tethering deal. Because the contract still has a few months to run they want the balance of the contract paid off in a lump sum before they will consider switching me to the new one.

In the mean time I can still tether my iPad to the phone and use anything that works though an app (Facebook, Newspaper apps, Mail etc) but using the actual web browser gets blocked, presumably the apps are proxying or using another protocol rather than HTTP even though they are replicating the functions of a website.

Tried alternative browsers that can change the user agent from mobile to desktop etc but with no luck. Does anyone have any ideas how I can fudge it until I can change contracts without having to pay a fortune for it?
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

I just did a google and this is how AT&T in the USA do it.

I suspect 3 do something similar.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      I just did a google and this is how AT&T in the USA do it.

I suspect 3 do something similar.
      Thanks for the link. Gave me enough to track down a workaround. Needed a jailbreak, then install PdaNet, works like a charm. Not free but cheaper than having to change phone plans.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
      X