• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One for the bicycle geeks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One for the bicycle geeks

100mph on a bike made in the kitchen. If anyone can do that it's Graeme Obree.

Graeme Obree reveals thinking behind design of bicycle for attempt at human-powered land speed record - Telegraph

The 100mph bike – designed in the bath and made from an old saucepan - Telegraph

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

If it's accomplished by slip-streaming behind a vehicle I'm not interested.

Why is he adopting a bent-over arse-upward recumbent position? Graeme Obree, former world pursuit champion and hour record holder, reveals he is homosexual - Telegraph

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      If it's accomplished by slip-streaming behind a vehicle I'm not interested.
      It isn't. This is the existing world record at 82 mph;

Comment

I've got my eye on one of these: Lovely Bicycle!: The Pashley Guv'nor: A Retrogrouch's Dream

Beautiful.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Aside from the obvious jokes about his sexuality, he's put a lot of thought into this and believes that he can produce more power lying on his front than on his back. If you train in a gym and do leg presses, that's similar to a recumbent position on a bike; a well trained athlete can produce a lot of power that way as the gluteus, hamstrings and quadriceps are used very effectively. But Obree's position is more akin to a second row forward in a rugby scrum; if you've ever pushed against an electronic scrum machine that measures power output, you'll know that you can actually produce even more power that way, perhaps because the gluteus muscles are recruited even more effectively than in a recumbent position, and they're the biggest, most powerful skeletal muscles in the body.

Anyway, I've always admired this guy, even well before I really got into cycling, because he's one of those slightly eccentric individualists who does things his own way and sees them through to success. It'd be good to see what Sir Chris Hoy could do on that bike though.
          Last edited by Mich the Tester; 15 June 2012, 08:01.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            I've got my eye on one of these: Lovely Bicycle!: The Pashley Guv'nor: A Retrogrouch's Dream

Beautiful.
            Very nice

I've got one of these, having dumped a batavus after a couple of months because the frame kept bending.

and I've just ordered one of these for the track;

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Aside from the obvious jokes about his sexuality, he's put a lot of thought into this and believes that he can produce more power lying on his front than on his back. If you train in a gym and do leg presses, that's similar to a recumbent position on a bike; a well trained athlete can produce a lot of power that way as the gluteus, hamstrings and quadriceps are used very effectively. But Obree's position is more akin to a second row forward in a rugby scrum; if you've ever pushed against an electronic scrum machine that measures power output, you'll know that you can actually produce even more power that way, perhaps because the gluteus muscles are recruited more effectively than in a recumbent position, and they're the biggest, most powerful skeletal muscles in the body.

Anyway, I've always admired this guy, even well before I really got into cycling, because he's one of those slightly eccentric individualists who does things his own way and sees them through to success. It'd be good to see what Sir Chris Hoy could do on that bike though.
              Yes, he has a background of developing his own Heath-Robinson record breaking bikes. I was disappointed to learn that his last innovation was banned. If I were going for a record I'd imagine that shape to be the better than recumbent too, if only for psychological reasons. It seems to attack the road aggressively. It's important to minimise frontal surface area and have a nice streamlined shape (hard to say what difference from the classic recumbent style would be), which is where most of the power losses would occur:

power = weight * velocity * friction (tires, bearings, chain) + aeroDrag * velocity^3

At that speed this boils down to aerodrag * the cube of the velocity,

where aerodrag = 0.5 * airDensity * CoEffAirResistence * frontalArea

where CoEffAirResistence will be measured in a wind tunnel.

So he wants a nice slippery shape (long is usually good) and minimising frontal area, and secondary considerations being weight and frictional losses.

Comment

He's forgotten the chain. Back to the drawing board.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  Yes, he has a background of developing his own Heath-Robinson record breaking bikes. I was disappointed to learn that his last innovation was banned.
                  Yep, the UCI are currently trying to take cycling back to the 19th century.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    He's forgotten the chain. Back to the drawing board.
                    And from past experience, no chain = sudden agonising pain in the goolies/coccyx. And the pain is probably even worse when you have no pedals either.

Comment

Working...
                    X