• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ryanair baggage fees up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ryanair baggage fees up

£50 charge for checked-in baggage now That's more than I [sometimes] pay for a return flight.

And baggage bounty policy are paid a bounty to discover carry-on bag dimension infringements and who allegedly perform their work with some enthusiasm. Floppy bags are a new area of concern as they can droop over the limit, since the check cage doesn't have sides. I can fit a hammock in my sports bag, but I may need to consider taking some cardboard to mitigate sports-bag droop.

At £50 it makes more sense to rent a tent at the destination, or buy one and cache it for subsequent use. Tents have to be checked in because of the sharp bits, so a small tent without poles might be able to be carried on if you can solve the pole problem on arrival.
    Last edited by TimberWolf; 16 June 2012, 10:08. Reason: changed link

Or...

Vote with your feet/credit card.

Comment

I don't like Ryan Air and so don't travel it. I dislike flying at the best of times. It's hot, uncomfortable and you're treated like cattle. Coupled with the fact there is something disconcerting about aerodynamics itself that allows something that heavy to fly around the skies. It's the devils work.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

This is why I always pay the £20-£30 extra to fly BA rather than Ryan Air or Easy Jet, the cheapest ticket is not always the best value
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          £50 charge for checked-in baggage now That's more than I [sometimes] pay for a return flight.

And baggage bounty police are paid a bounty to discover carry-on bag dimension infringements and who allegedly perform their work with some enthusiasm. Floppy bags are a new area of concern as they can droop over the limit, since the check cage doesn't have sides. I can fit a hammock in my sports bag, but I may need to consider taking some cardboard to mitigate sports-bag droop.

At £50 it makes more sense to rent a tent at the destination, or buy one and cache it for subsequent use. Tents have to be checked in because of the sharp bits, so a small tent without poles might be able to be carried on if you can solve the pole problem on arrival.
          Your link is an about.com link which first serves up a fishing warning and then hides the actual link you were trying to post

Where does it say in the DM article that the checked baggage charge is £50? the highest I can see is £40. Even then, that's only if the baggage is deemed too big at the gate.
          Pre-booked checked baggage varies from £20 to £40 for the first bag depending on the flight and time of year
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            Your link is an about.com link which first serves up a fishing warning and then hides the actual link you were trying to post

Where does it say in the DM article that the checked baggage charge is £50? the highest I can see is £40. Even then, that's only if the baggage is deemed too big at the gate.
            Pre-booked checked baggage varies from £20 to £40 for the first bag depending on the flight and time of year
            Thanks, I've changed the link.

The DM article was referenced in relation to the bounty police. Ryanair charges £25 for the 1st checked in bag, and unless you are not coming back that's £50. The fee is higher for heavier or for subsequent bags.

Incidentally the fine for not printing your boarding pass has also shot up.

I try not to get caught out by any of these so don't usually take much notice, but the £50 price for a checked in bag means a rethink on taking a tent. I may take a bivvie bag or hammock for my next Ibiza visit.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

And baggage bounty policy are paid a bounty to discover carry-on bag dimension infringements and who allegedly perform their work with some enthusiasm. Floppy bags are a new area of concern as they can droop over the limit, since the check cage doesn't have sides. I can fit a hammock in my sports bag, but I may need to consider taking some cardboard to mitigate sports-bag droop.

Why people continue to use that shyster's airline, I'll never understand.

Oh wait, it's supposed to be cheaper!
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

I used them once out of convenience as it was either fly with them from Standsted or fly from Gatwick to use the other airline. Given that I was having to drive down from Manchester, Stansted was a no brainer!

My general thoughts after the experience; If you get the priority seating and it's a short flight they aren't quite as bad as everyone makes out. By far the worst aspect though was the other passengers. The chav scale was through the roof, at least half of MF's family must have been on board the plane
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

When I book flights if there is a low cost airline and a regular airline flying to my destination from one of the many London airports I can cope with travelling from, I tend to open 2 windows and see how much it costs to go through both at the same time.

9 times out of 10 if I've got luggage or anything that needs to go in the hold the regular airline is cheaper at checkout.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I used Ryanair once!

That I usually fly at least twice a month to several destinations in Europe and last year was flying twice weekly should give some indication here on my thoughts with regard to this skank airline.
                    I'd rather pay more or travel to another airport by land and use another airline rather than fly Ryan, even if it means adding a day to my journey.

The first and last time I used Ryanairskank they made me check my carry-on bag. a bag that has done approximatel 200+ in cabin flights on half a dozen different airlines and dozens of different models of plane, inluding the little prop planes that ferry between Glasgow and the Orkneys and London City and Brussels. It even had a carry-on baggage label still attached to the handle from Brussels airlines and they still made me check it saying that it was too large and I had to pay extra. The staff attitude was appalling too.

Work out my yearly flights and see how much that little exercise is going to cost them in losses in the long term.

it's a chav class airline anyway
                    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
                    X