• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bloomsday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloomsday

In case you hadn't noticed, today is Bloomsday - the anniversary of the day in 1904 described in minute detail in James Joyce's seminal novel Ulysses.

Last year was the seventieth anniversary of Joyce's death, meaning that this is the first year in which his work has been out of copyright on this auspicious day.

As a result, you can now find out what you've been missing all these years by any or all of the following means:

Enjoy!

Crack on!

What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Thanks Nick. I was vaguely listening to R4 earlier today and they did something about Ulysses. I tried it when I was too young to appreciate it.

And gave up by about the second page

Edit: They are discussing it now on R4.
      Last edited by Sysman; 16 June 2012, 19:54.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
        Thanks Nick. I was vaguely listening to R4 earlier today and they did something about Ulysses. I tried it when I was too young to appreciate it.

And gave up by about the second page

Edit: They are discussing it now on R4.
        Yep, Molly's stream of consciousness soliloquy coming up.

Having taken down the copy I bought secondhand when I was about sixteen, I find that I made it as far as "Mr Leopold Bloom ate with relish the inner organs of beasts and fowls" (p.65 of the 1960 Bodley Head edition) - frankly I'm surprised I made it that far, though glancing through, I don't remember much of it

It's been 34 years, so I'll give it another try

Comment

Rather amusing article about the reactions of US librarians of the day to the book, including one at Duke University who thought it should be locked away: How ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ Is Like ‘Ulysses’

Comment

Dullest. book. ever.

It is like lord of the rings set in Dublin without orks and goblins. "I went down this road and done this and then done that" next page "I went down this road and done this and then done that"

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

It's been 34 years, so I'll give it another try
              Why bother?

Never read it, but it sounds like a lot of obscurantist nonsense to me.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Rather amusing article about the reactions of US librarians of the day to the book, including one at Duke University who thought it should be locked away: How ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ Is Like ‘Ulysses’
                I ordered "Fifty Shades of Grey" (the three book set £20) off Amazon yesterday for my wife.

If it's anything like "Ulysses" she's going to be bored out of her skull
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Over rated in my opinion, don't know why it gets the praise, usually pretentious wannabes that think they look intelligent if they bang on about it.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    Why bother?

Never read it, but it sounds like a lot of obscurantist nonsense to me.
                    There are enough people whose opinions I respect that think it is a book worth reading, not because of intellectual wordgamery or stylistic flourishes, but because it says things that are worth saying and says them in an interesting way. Sort of the opposite of General

There are those who would dismiss The Waste Land because it is not easy to understand on a casual reading, but that doesn't prevent it being one of the greatest poems ever written (and one of my personal favourites).

Comment

Working...
                    X