• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

some financial tips needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

some financial tips needed

Hi

here is the stuation, im on a decent permie salary ( 50K ) , but have no house, no good car, no saving, 23K utstanding debt on CC and loan,

Im single and would like to buy my own house ( stop paying rent ) upgrade my car, clear debt, get married 2-3 years down the line, build some savings

recently i have
    1. brought in a lodger to help with the bills and rent
    2. stopped drinking and nightlife etc
    3. started expanding my skills so i can go contracting 6 month down the line ( increase my income)

im younger and less experienced than most of you, I appreciate your advice and thanks for sharing your life experience.

you say you have no house but yet you have a lodger, are you just subletting ?

anyhow that £20k something debt is going to take years to pay off if your salary is £50k and you are permie where you've hit the 40% tax bracket, go contracting and learn from a good accountant how to be more tax efficient.

Comment

Before the mob arrive, it looks to me like you're already taking the appropriate steps to righteousness. What sort of advice do you want?

Edit: Get rid of that CC debt pronto. It's the worst kind of debt this side of Wonga.
      Last edited by Doggy Styles; 17 June 2012, 07:35.

Comment

If it's any consolation, there must be millions of people your age in the same situation or worse. (I'm assuming you're fairly young.)

Maybe your best bet is to find a partner, if you don't already have one, to share the expenses, as long as they're not spendthrifts and gold diggers!
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

If you are a woman; get married and divorced.

If you are a man, never get married.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            Before the mob arrive, it looks to me like you're already taking the appropriate steps to righteousness. What sort of advice do you want?

Edit: Get rid of that CC debt pronto. It's the worst kind of debt this side of Wonga.
            WDSS

If you limit your spending you should be able to clear the debt quite quickly. Have you looked if you can transfer some of this debt to 0% credit card offers?

After this, start to build some capital, you will need quite a sum to get on the property ladder.
            "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by calacik View Post
              Hi

here is the stuation, im on a decent permie salary ( 50K ) , but have no house, no good car, no saving, 23K utstanding debt on CC and loan,

Im single and would like to buy my own house ( stop paying rent ) upgrade my car, clear debt, get married 2-3 years down the line, build some savings

recently i have
              1. brought in a lodger to help with the bills and rent
              2. stopped drinking and nightlife etc
              3. started expanding my skills so i can go contracting 6 month down the line ( increase my income)

im younger and less experienced than most of you, I appreciate your advice and thanks for sharing your life experience.
              Go into student mode, reduce all spending to minimal level and put everything towards your CC debt, might take you a year or two, then keep doing the same and save 20-30k for a deposit. Buy a flat in a area were prices are distressed, then go contracting and pump every tax avoiding buck into the mortgage, paying it off in 5 years, do the same again with another flat, meanwhile learn how to day trade and make a few million, then start a business and sell it to Facebook for 1 billion, now start a hedge fund and turn the billion into 20-30 billion.

HTH

Comment

I had a similar question when I was about your age.

I built a spreadsheet and put a few scenarios on it, and worked out where I would be when I was 45.

scenario 1. get a morgage, stay permie.

scenario 2. get a mortgage go contracting.

scenario 3. stay in rented, go contracting.

scenario 4. stay in rented, stay permie.

it goes without saying that whatever you do, you must keep costs down and maximise your income. Pay off all debts asap, and never forget the biggest debt is a mortgage.

I went for number three, and me and the family lived in the worst rented sh!t hole imaginable and I saved , and saved. Bought the first house I could afford then washed and rinsed till I ended up in a decent place. It helped that I dont have expensive tastes in food or cars.

Once you get it written down, you can see the enormity of the task, the answer will suggest itself.

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by calacik View Post
                  I'd prioritise those things first. I would aim to do it in this order - clear debt, build some savings, buy my own house ( stop paying rent ), upgrade my car

You say you're single so leave marriage until the situation arises, but I'd definitely try to accomplish the first two on the list before shelling out on an engagement ring and a wedding.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                    I'd prioritise those things first. I would aim to do it in this order - clear debt, build some savings, buy my own house ( stop paying rent ), upgrade my car

You say you're single so leave marriage until the situation arises, but I'd definitely try to accomplish the first two on the list before shelling out on an engagement ring and a wedding.
                    Unless your spouse is stinking rich and 93.

Comment

Working...
                    X