• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Petition to stop government snooping

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petition to stop government snooping

If anyone is interested, there's an e-petition here against the proposed new Internet and phone monitoring powers.

I don't have much of a problem with GCHQ having these powers; but I do have a major problem with the same being granted to local councils and the like, for no doubt trivial money grubbing reasons unrelated to crime. Chances are the main incentive is to make it easier for councils to spot sub-letting, and to charge extra rent or a council tax supplement.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    If anyone is interested, there's an e-petition here against the proposed new Internet and phone monitoring powers.

I don't have much of a problem with GCHQ having these powers; but I do have a major problem with the same being granted to local councils and the like, for no doubt trivial money grubbing reasons unrelated to crime. Chances are the main incentive is to make it easier for councils to spot sub-letting, and to charge extra rent or a council tax supplement.
    +1
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Now Mr Diver, about your council tax rebate. You say you've living on your own but according to your Internet usage you've been visiting Www.rentboyhomeservice.com and www.beastilitywithrover.net quite regularly so were rejecting your appeal saying you live alone. Oh and you'll need a dog licence as well.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Now Mr Diver, about your council tax rebate. You say you've living on your own but according to your Internet usage you've been visiting Www.rentboyhomeservice.com and www.beastilitywithrover.net quite regularly so were rejecting your appeal saying you live alone. Oh and you'll need a dog licence as well.
        What!

How did you?

Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I have no issues with the power being there, I have issues with the people that have the powers.

Comment

BBC News - Ethiopia clamps down on Skype and other internet use on Tor

Where do we live again?
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              I don't have much of a problem with GCHQ having these powers; but I do have a major problem with the same being granted to local councils and the like, for no doubt trivial money grubbing reasons unrelated to crime.
              If you have ever had relatives working for the council you realise what a set of gossips and interfering busybodies they can be.

My own parents both worked for the local council and were so concerned about their salaries being blasted around the Town Hall gossip circuit that they refused to declare their incomes on my uni grant application form, with the result that I only got the minimum grant.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Not even Russia got such tulip - politician that proposes should be kicked out not just from Govt but from politics altogether.

Yet another reason to vote Labour next time...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Not even Russia got such tulip - politician that proposes should be kicked out not just from Govt but from politics altogether.

Yet another reason to vote Labour next time...

They are all the bl**dy same.

Labour proposed similar laws when they were in power.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I signed it but I would not be against if a judge's warrant were required to use such data.

Comment

Working...
                    X