• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Irritating colleagues

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irritating colleagues

Just logged in to find that a US colleague has completely redone a piece of work I did at the end of last week(which was on my project plan & I was owner for). It's got exactly the same output, but he's rewritten the documentation, diagrams, process flows etc. They all say the same, but with the exception of stating the opposite conclusion I had laid out on Friday. The dumb thing is, his conclusion is wrong even on his work and that mine is correct.

He's emailed all of the same colleagues I had done, so now it looks like we've duplicated work.

He did the same last weekend as well. Picking up something I'd designed, repacking it & then sending it back out.

I'm bemused by it. He's worked until midnight on the Sunday to do it?

Apart from pointing out that he's duplicating effort and making us both look stupid what other advice does the board have?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

I would ask him why he keeps doing it!

He might think he has a very good reason (perhaps he has misunderstood a spec somewhere and honesly thinks he is covering your back).
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Just logged in to find that a US colleague has completely redone a piece of work I did at the end of last week(which was on my project plan & I was owner for). It's got exactly the same output, but he's rewritten the documentation, diagrams, process flows etc. They all say the same, but with the exception of stating the opposite conclusion I had laid out on Friday. The dumb thing is, his conclusion is wrong even on his work and that mine is correct.

He's emailed all of the same colleagues I had done, so now it looks like we've duplicated work.

He did the same last weekend as well. Picking up something I'd designed, repacking it & then sending it back out.

Apart from pointing out that he's duplicating effort and making us both look stupid what other advice does the board have?
      Why isn't he in hospital yet?

Comment

It's the American way.

It's called distrust and one-up-manship.

Loving it out there now MF? So much better than the UK?

Comment

He's not called "William H. Gates III" is he?

Comment

Sounds like he's a nice guy trying to cover the new guy's back by fixing it on the sly.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Can you be sure that he's not slagging you off on the quiet. Look I have to keep fixing this guys work etc

As MyUserName says, ask him why he is doing work you have already done.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I thought this was a thread about your new hobby.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  I thought this was a thread about your new hobby.
                  Tha's irrigating colleagues
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Sounds like he's a nice guy trying to cover the new guy's back by fixing it on the sly.
                    He's a very nice fella. Nothings been fixed. He's just repackaged the stuff. He's the other guy who's been hired and in theory I'm reporting into him as he's taken a directors role. He's a bit of a workaholic & I think he thinks he's being helpful. He also feels he should be 'delivering more'. He's only been there 3 weeks

So bearing in mind I hold the Project Plan & we agreed who was doing what last week, plus I am not going to do the weekends (like he feels he should do and can do as he has no kids) then he needs to ensure that he's not doing the work I'm doing & should ask me to modify my work accordingly. It's the problem with me deciding to stay as a contractor and not take the perm offer.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X