• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much do you pay yourself?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much do you pay yourself?

Following on from my earlier post about accidentally overpaying myself last year, I was just wondering how many of you just pay yourselves divis up to the higher rate threshold
    (not a lot is it? about £32k + your tax free allowance) & get by on that. I do, however, take full advantage of expenses as I'm away from home Monday- Friday so every cup of coffee etc is receipted. Suprising how much it all adds up & claiming all this does lighten the load on my personal finances.

I don't mind paying a bit of higher rate tax but as soon as you cross the threshold you have to make payments on account and the whole thing becomes a total ball ache.
    Divis up to higher rate threshold
    38.10%
    Divis up to higher rate threshold + pay divis to partner or someone else
    33.33%
    Divis > higher rate
    14.29%
    I'm AndyW so I'mIR35 caught
    14.29%

Q. to those of you who pay divis to a partner / someone else.

I assume they are non working and hence have the full alocation of the tax free allowance available. So do you pay them a divi of, say £7k, leave them with a grand or so as a token of your appreciation and then claw back the remaining £6k for yourself?

Comment

Don't be silly. If you issue a divident payment to a shareholder, it's the shareholder's money. There is no "clawing back".

Of course, in my day, before HMRC started all this S660A nonsense, all the dividends were paid into a joint account so the question was moot anyway. A true contractor wouldn't quibble over 6K in anycase.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Don't be silly. If you issue a divident payment to a shareholder, it's the shareholder's money. There is no "clawing back".

Of course, in my day, before HMRC started all this S660A nonsense, all the dividends were paid into a joint account so the question was moot anyway. A true contractor wouldn't quibble over 6K in anycase.
        So, I make my mate a shareholder, pay him 7k. He pays me 6k and I leave him with a grand for the trouble.

What's wrong with that?

And, incidentally, £6k is a lot of money to me. I could live for 2 months off of that.

Comment

I try to be as tax effective as possible, but I go over the divi rate each year & pay any due taxes.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Enough to top the NI threshold of £144 per week.
            Rest goes into pension as a myco contribution

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
              So, I make my mate a shareholder, pay him 7k. He pays me 6k and I leave him with a grand for the trouble.

What's wrong with that?
              That's tax EVASION

Comment

I was paying upto the higher rate threshold, but too much of my money was getting trapped. And unless I ended up not working for a long time I didnt see how I could get it out.

And yes, its my money, its my company.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
                  Q. to those of you who pay divis to a partner / someone else.

I assume they are non working and hence have the full alocation of the tax free allowance available. So do you pay them a divi of, say £7k, leave them with a grand or so as a token of your appreciation and then claw back the remaining £6k for yourself?
                  you are either greedy, stoopid or a wind up merchant

or a greedy stoopid wind up merchant

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    a greedy stoopid wind up merchant

WEOS with wings on.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...