• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving an existing contract for new one

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving an existing contract for new one

Hi,

I am in bit of a dilemma at the moment.
    I have recently joined a new contract. It's a 6 months and I have just completed my first month here.

Although, I wasn' actively looking, I somehow managed to get a new contract with better rate, better role (at it sounds better) and with longer duration (potentially 1.5 years)

Is it fair to leave my current contract for the new one? Ideally, I dont want to burn the bridge with the company I am currently working for.
    What is the best way of getting out it?

Thanks in adavnce for you sharing your experience in this situation.

Regards,

Originally posted by topoftheworld View Post
    Hi,

I have recently joined a new contract. It's a 6 months and I have just completed my first month here.

Although, I wasn' actively looking, I somehow managed to get a new contract with better rate, better role (at it sounds better) and with longer duration (potentially 1.5 years)

Is it fair to leave my current contract for the new one? Ideally, I dont want to burn the bridge with the company I am currently working for.

Regards,
    Exercise your right of substitution as detailed in your contract...

Don't forget to report back.

Comment

Pretty unprofessional to jump after a month - NorthernLadUk
      Do what's best for you - MarillionFan
      Sherbert, hic, titties - EternalOptimist
      Do you like Gladiators? - Xoggoth
      F**k off what do we look like a f**king self help group - SupremeSpod
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Yes, I do feel it is unprofessional, but I am finding it very hard to let the new contract go as it offers better role, rate and longivity.

I am obviously going to serve my full notice period here before I leave.

Any advice how to leave on good terms?

Comment

Hi,

Regards,
          That is all fine but Don't complain when IT projects get outsourced to the Bobs. Nowhere else does a business have such an opportunity to "opt out" of a commitment and move on to a better paid one elsewhere. I understand your motivation but it runs roughshod over what clients want.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            That is all fine but Don't complain when IT projects get outsourced to the Bobs. Nowhere else does a business have such an opportunity to "opt out" of a commitment and move on to a better paid one elsewhere. I understand your motivation but it runs roughshod over what clients want.
            Feck it. Why should you worry about the bigger picture. Take the money.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Any advice how to leave on good terms?
              If you dont have previous experience with this client and its your first ever month with them then its unlikely you can leave as great chums. I've done it before but for a client I have 'previous' with so they knew it wasn't something I made a habit of and didn't do lightly. The agent got really shirty with me when I did it but, meh, they have short memories and an insatiable greed so no problem, they'll place you again in a heartbeat.

Give notice, take the better role. Are you 100% sure this other contract is a sure thing and will they wait for you to serve any contracted notice period?

Comment

Hi,

I also applied for another role but didn't think I would get it, better rate, better role (at it sounds better) and with longer duration (potentially 1.5 years) As I didn't think I would get it, I took another role when it was offered.

Now the agent has come back with the better role, I didn't tell the agent I have another role, he now wants me to start.

What will I do
                FTFY
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Feck it. Why should you worry about the bigger picture. Take the money.
                  do you mean by "take the money" i.e. take the new contract?

I am very inclined to take the new contract, but not sure how I can leave my current contract with least damage. I am sure if I say I intend to leave, the client will probably be shocked. It may sound selfish and unprofessional, but I need make the decision by putting my requirements first (before client requirements).

It sounds unfair, I know. I am feeling as if I am morally obliged to finish my term here, at the same feeling as if I am going to lose a very opportunity for this moral dilemma.

Comment

Can't see any issue whatsoever.
                    Take the new contract with the better rate. Your client would have no issue ditching you at the drop of a hat so go for it.
                    HTH

one day at a time

Comment

Working...
                    X