PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry Bold 9900

NorthWestPerm2Contr
19th June 2012, 15:09
Just wondering if anybody else has one of these? I have an iphone 4s as well (for gadgety purposes) but this blackberry phone is truly amazing. Never before has it been so easy and enjoyable to send emails, text messages, whatsapp, bbm etc.

I have had it for 3 months and I would find life difficult without it. The keyboard has been rated by all reviews as the best in the market - which is the main selling point to me.

pacharan
19th June 2012, 15:18
I had several Blackberry Pearls before getting a smartphone and was very happy with them.

My main concern now would be how ling are RIM going to be around for?

northernladuk
19th June 2012, 15:22
I had several Blackberry Pearls before getting a smartphone and was very happy with them.

My main concern now would be how ling are RIM going to be around for?

WHS... I would need to know how ling they are going to be around as well!

NorthWestPerm2Contr
19th June 2012, 15:33
I doubt RIM are going anywhere - Barclays and my current gig gave all their permies Blackberrys and a lot of businesses depend on them for emailing.

Also their new 9900 has been a real hit. Several of my friends reverted back to Blackberry after initially leaving them to go to iPhone.

There will always be a market for them in business so I doubt there will be any major problems in the near future.....

SimonMac
19th June 2012, 15:38
RIM are in trouble, no question about that, they are just about to basically ditch their consumer line and focus back purely on enterprise. From a business point nothing can come close to a BB, but most people want the bells and whistles that come with an iPhone and IT Depts are caving in

FiveTimes
19th June 2012, 15:42
I've had my BB 8900 curve for probably 3.5 years, and I've been due an upgrade for ages but I can't stand touch screen phones so I've never taken the leap.
This 9900 looks good but I would rather have a phone with a keypad than a phone with both.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
19th June 2012, 15:45
I've had my BB 8900 curve for probably 3.5 years, and I've been due an upgrade for ages but I can't stand touch screen phones so I've never taken the leap.
This 9900 looks good but I would rather have a phone with a keypad than a phone with both.

That's the beauty of the 9900 - you don't need to use the touch screen, the keypad can do everything.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
19th June 2012, 15:46
RIM are in trouble, no question about that, they are just about to basically ditch their consumer line and focus back purely on enterprise. From a business point nothing can come close to a BB, but most people want the bells and whistles that come with an iPhone and IT Depts are caving in

I can't see that happening anytime soon, bbm is still the reason many consumers have a blackberry and I can't see them ditching millions of users who are paying a fiver a month or whatever for the blackberry service.

SimonMac
19th June 2012, 15:50
I can't see that happening anytime soon, bbm is still the reason many consumers have a blackberry and I can't see them ditching millions of users who are paying a fiver a month or whatever for the blackberry service.

RIM to leave consumer markets, focus on Blackberry business technology - Techworld.com (http://news.techworld.com/mobile-wireless/3348050/rim-leave-consumer-markets-focus-on-blackberry-business-technology/)

NorthWestPerm2Contr
19th June 2012, 15:55
RIM to leave consumer markets, focus on Blackberry business technology - Techworld.com (http://news.techworld.com/mobile-wireless/3348050/rim-leave-consumer-markets-focus-on-blackberry-business-technology/)

"Research in Motion's new CEO Thorsten Heins has said that the company will abandon most consumer markets"

It will retain a significant dedicated user-base going forwards but won't be on the same scale as Apple or Samsung.

Spoiler
19th June 2012, 16:10
+1 for the 9900. Ditched my iphone4 for it - couldn't be doing with the virtual keyboard.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
19th June 2012, 16:11
+1 for the 9900. Ditched my iphone4 for it - couldn't be doing with the virtual keyboard.

Tell me about it, I have an iphone 4s too, its really stressful trying to type on a touch screen - especially when you have made an error and want to go back and change it.....

pacharan
19th June 2012, 16:24
Tell me about it, I have an iphone 4s too, its really stressful trying to type on a touch screen - especially when you have made an error and want to go back and change it.....

My HTC Desire has a trackball that allows you to easily move the insertion point.

My IPod Touch doesn't have this and the only way to move the insertion point is by tapping the screen. Takes several attempts when you're as fat fingered as me.

Pogle
19th June 2012, 18:37

I love the virtual keyboard on my samsung, however, having incredibly long strong (natural) nails, I do find it hard to use!!

MarillionFan
19th June 2012, 18:42
I love the virtual keyboard on my samsung, however, having incredibly long strong (natural) nails, I do find it hard to use!!

http://images.wikia.com/oz/images/4/4a/Movie_Wicked_Witch.JPG

I can imagine. :rolleyes:

Pogle
19th June 2012, 18:47
http://images.wikia.com/oz/images/4/4a/Movie_Wicked_Witch.JPG

I can imagine. :rolleyes:

spot on :laugh

Halo Jones
20th June 2012, 07:00
especially when you have made an error and want to go back and change it.....

One of the reasons I ditched the iphone: the Galaxy S2 solves this :yay:

Lockhouse
20th June 2012, 07:07

Yep. Texting on Android is much easier. However, if you need a phone solely for business I don't reckon you can beat the BB keyboard. I've gone from a BB to a Galaxy S2 and although I've got all the apps and a better interface I miss the keyboard and the BB just doing what it says.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
20th June 2012, 08:58
Yep. Texting on Android is much easier. However, if you need a phone solely for business I don't reckon you can beat the BB keyboard. I've gone from a BB to a Galaxy S2 and although I've got all the apps and a better interface I miss the keyboard and the BB just doing what it says.

I left BB for a short while and when I came back to it I was so relieved.

Diver
20th June 2012, 09:16
I was going out to buy a Blackberry Bold 9900 this weekend. I already have a curve on Vodafone and my Nokia C3-00 on T-Mobile/Orange is getting a bit dated.

Not sure whether to wait or not now :ohwell

Spoiler
20th June 2012, 09:18

As well as the iphone virtual keyboard, I also used to have an HTC desire. Much prefer the real Bold keyboard over those two. Can't really comment if the long nails are a hindrance with either !

SimonMac
20th June 2012, 09:20

Sorry but I can't be the only one now imagining Pogle's nail running down their back :spank:

Spoiler
20th June 2012, 09:20
I was going out to buy a Blackberry Bold 9900 this weekend. I already have a curve on Vodafone and my Nokia C3-00 on T-Mobile/Orange is getting a bit dated.

Not sure whether to wait or not now :ohwell

9900 is the best phone I've had, but I guess it depends what you want it for. I use it mainly for email but don't use apps that much.

lukemg
20th June 2012, 09:21
I've got a Samsung G600 - zero feature phone ! I need a phone that can work as a wi-fi spot and as a phone at the same time - Is this possible, any ideas ?

Thanks all.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
20th June 2012, 09:21
Sorry but I can't be the only one now imagining Pogle's nail running down their back :spank:

You probably were, but I am sure that will no longer be the case......

BoredBloke
20th June 2012, 09:34
Before my Atrix (that nobody but me ever bought) I had a Nokia N97. It was truly a bag of spanners on an epic scale but it's one good feature was the slide out keyboard. When on web pages, when you need to type something, on my current phone the virtual keyboard takes up most of the screen meaning that you are left with a tiny sliver of the web page that is viewable. It manages to beat the Nokia offering on literally every other point though!

Diver
20th June 2012, 09:48

I did have a very nice Galaxy slide that I'd switched to after my BB bold died, but my wife took a liking to the Galaxy, hence my purchase of the curve to replace it.

Call. emails and texts is all I use them for anyway.

SupremeSpod
20th June 2012, 09:51

"I doubt you'd survive" - Kirsty MacColl RIP