• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bloomberg: EU authorities colluded with Greece to mask its deficit for a decade

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloomberg: EU authorities colluded with Greece to mask its deficit for a decade

EU Court to Hear ECB Greek-Swap File Suit as Euro Threatened - Businessweek

The files may help show the role EU authorities played in allowing Greece to mask its deficit for almost a decade before the nation’s troubled finances necessitated a 240 billion-euro ($300 billion) bailout and the biggest debt restructuring in history. [...]
    “The documents may be proof that there was tacit collusion between the EU and Greece, that no action was taken,” said Georg Erber, a research associate at the DIW Berlin economic research institute. The lack of transparency has “weakened the credibility of the institutions, and the concern is that the same problem will repeat itself again and again.”
    <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Why am I not surprised?

Comment

La, la, la I can't hear yoooouuuuu!

Everything will be fine. Stop worrying. International Finance is your friend. We love you.

Dave & Co.

Comment

You don't say.

Nobody will be punished for this though, except innocent citizens of EU countries.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          You don't say.

Nobody will be punished for this though, except innocent citizens of EU countries.
          So your saying there's an up-side to it?

Comment

Who made a killing on Greece's entry in to the Euro? Maybe that's where pitchforks should be directed.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              Who made a killing on Greece's entry in to the Euro? Maybe that's where pitchforks should be directed.
              Goldman Sachs
              <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

About a year ago we had a couple from the girls school over for dinner for the first time and I was politely conversing:
                Me: So what do you do?
                Him: I'm in banking
                Me: Which bank
                Him: Goldman Sachs
                Me: What do you do there
                Him: Derivatives
                Me: What type
                Him: Interest rate swaps mostly
                Me: For Corporate or sovereing clients
                Him: Sovereigns mostly
                Me: So, did you make the product Greece was using to chage their numbers when getting into the EU
                Him: Actually yes.

Then we changed topic in order to stay polite - the women were getting bored by now.
                "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  Why am I not surprised?
                  + 1

Next month’s news = European officials received kick-backs from banks

Why am I not surprised
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

My missus wrote her thesis 20 years ago on why fiscal union won't work for the EU.
                    Bless her, she never goes round saying "I told you so" because nobody's going to listen to a housewife from Coventry.
                    Begs the question, if she could work it out, WTF couldn't the politicos....?

Comment

Working...
                    X