PDA

View Full Version : Identity Theft

Lockhouse
20th June 2012, 07:17
Someone's nicked £2000 in numerous small amounts from our joint account using the missus' card. All done via a short term loan company.

The bank have repaid the cash and are raising a dispute with the loan company concerned, but I can't figure out how they did it. The wife rarely uses that card and all the statements go to me and are filed or shredded.

Cliphead
20th June 2012, 07:20
Someone's nicked £2000 in numerous small amounts from our joint account using the missus' card. All done via a short term loan company.

The bank have repaid the cash and are raising a dispute with the loan company concerned, but I can't figure out how they did it. The wife rarely uses that card and all the statements go to me and are filed or shredded.

When it happened to me it was a bank employee.

Lockhouse
20th June 2012, 07:21

I'd not thought of that. Could be.

MarillionFan
20th June 2012, 07:34
So how does that work then?

Someone borrows money from the loan company and sets up your missus account as the Debit account?

FiveTimes
20th June 2012, 07:36

Same happened with me, took a huge chuck out of current account with a payment reference of 'holiday money'.

Lockhouse
20th June 2012, 07:39
So how does that work then?

Someone borrows money from the loan company and sets up your missus account as the Debit account?

That's what it looks like. Several small loans of varying amounts (the largest was £900) plus several fixed £5.00 amounts that my bank reckon could be credit checks. Well the credit checks certainly worked!

NotAllThere
20th June 2012, 08:36
...The bank have repaid the cash and are raising a dispute with the loan company concerned..Is that when they send the heavy lads* round to "have a word".

* Armed with sledgehammers and hobbling posts.

gingerjedi
20th June 2012, 09:27
Happened to me around Christmas time, scumbag had set up a new bank account in my name with Tesco and a direct debit at my bank.

They got 3.5k before I noticed, all sorted within hours once I contacted my bank.

What really annoyed me was Tesco's attitude to it all, they had allowed this to happen yet they seemed completely unsympathetic and just blamed 'the system' for letting it slip through when they clearly hadn't done proper checks.

My advice would be to join Credit expert and check out all the entries to see who was at fault, the bank should have already registered your wife with CIFAS which puts extra checks in place.

Paddy
20th June 2012, 11:22
Had similar with a new and yet unused credit card. The only way to get the details were from the bank. Now which counties are the call centres for HSBC?

Lockhouse
21st June 2012, 14:07
My advice would be to join Credit expert and check out all the entries to see who was at fault, the bank should have already registered your wife with CIFAS which puts extra checks in place.

Credit Expert is £15 per month - is it worth it?

norrahe
21st June 2012, 14:14
Credit Expert is £15 per month - is it worth it?

You can sign up for a free trail and give it a go that way.

gingerjedi
21st June 2012, 14:44
You can sign up for a free trail and give it a go that way.

That reminded me to cancel, thanks!

It is a very thorough service and well worth having for a few months at least, it also shows how much you owe to the penny and how much credit is available which was a shock!!

northernladuk
21st June 2012, 14:48
I was concerned I had been a victim of identy theft when sums of money started disappearing from our joint account. Wife said she hasn't used it and I knew what I was spending. All the money seems to have been stolen by Next, Debhenams, Sams Nail Salon, Tan 4 U etc... Thieving bastards :D