• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The pound in your pocket

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The pound in your pocket

since 2005, prices in the UK are up 22.8 per cent. Since 1987, they are up 142 per cent. Since November 2009, just 31 months ago, prices are up 9.6 per cent – the pound in your pocket has lost a tenth of its value.

Inflation falls at last

The sufferers are savers who are mostly old people. Who have it too good at the expense of the young. It only becomes a worry if everyone decides there is no point in saving.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    since 2005, prices in the UK are up 22.8 per cent. Since 1987, they are up 142 per cent. Since November 2009, just 31 months ago, prices are up 9.6 per cent – the pound in your pocket has lost a tenth of its value.

Inflation falls at last

The sufferers are savers who are mostly old people. Who have it too good at the expense of the young. It only becomes a worry if everyone decides there is no point in saving.
    Yeah cos savers have had it right cushty with BOE base at 0.5% for the last 4 years
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Where do they get a 'tenth' from?
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Where do they get a 'tenth' from?
        Roughly now goods that cost 100p will now cost 109.6p. So you now get 91.24p worth of goods for your 100p. I think. Oh dear - this is more complicated than I thought.

IT JUST IS OKAY!

Comment

Roughly now goods that cost 100p will now cost 109.6p. So you now get 91.24p worth of goods for your 100p. I think. Oh dear - this is more complicated than I thought.

IT JUST IS OKAY!

But it said prices were up 23%???

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost

Feck me, I thought they'd reanimated Harold Wilson.

From wiki

Wilson was much criticised for a broadcast in which he assured listeners that the "pound in your pocket" had not lost its value. It was widely forgotten that his next sentence had been "prices will rise".

It is that sort of attitude which caused the UK to go downhill until Maggie came along.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              But it said prices were up 23%???
              Since 2005. But since November 2009 (31 months ago) prices are up 9.6 per cent.

My pension is worth less and less. I think I will be lucky if I retire at 75.

Comment

I missed that bit. It's correct then.

Carry on.

Comment

That's my target date now. remembering that I retired at 50 and then went back to work through boredom and then bought another house etc and took out another mortgage and sold my soul to the capitalist devil and now face a lifetime of poverty unless I work til I drop
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I will be lucky to live to 75 with my families health history
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X