PDA

View Full Version : New to Contracting: Best Umbrella Company to use

theBIDeveloper
21st June 2012, 10:11
Hi guys,

I'm taking the leap into Contracting soon, and would like to know the best Umbrella Company to use. I'm not going down the limited route as I'm a simple man, and hate any kind of paperwork and headaches!

All I'm looking for is a simple, straight down the line solution. I invoice X amount and X amount gets paid back to me. Obviously I'd like the highest percentage possible but I'm not looking for any dodgy schemes or any loan type agreements that have me looking over my shoulder for the rest of my life.

If anyone has any recommendations, I'd greatly appreciate it. Like I said, a simple, effective solution from a refutable company that is HMRC compliant and doesn't try to cut corners.

Thanks...

Scoi
21st June 2012, 12:40
Brookson are a very popular firm. Not the cheapest but make things very easy. Don't be afraid of the limited company route. One timesheet and an expense form is all you need per week/job. Setting up takes about an hour. Save 20-30% on tax/NI as well.

Clare@InTouch
21st June 2012, 12:45
Lisa from ContractorUmbrella posts here a lot, and gives a lot of useful advice out to people, so she'd be one of the ones I'd gravitate toward personally :smile

theBIDeveloper
21st June 2012, 12:46
Brookson are a very popular firm. Not the cheapest but make things very easy. Don't be afraid of the limited company route. One timesheet and an expense form is all you need per week/job. Setting up takes about an hour. Save 20-30% on tax/NI as well.

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I will check them out.

I not going limited, I've been there in a life before. Every brown letter that arrived to my door caused me a headache. I hate any paperwork, any forms to fill out, anything like that, even if it's only once a year. Just want an easy solution and would rather have less money for it - not the be all and end all for me.

Thanks again...

LisaContractorUmbrella
21st June 2012, 13:40
Lisa from ContractorUmbrella posts here a lot, and gives a lot of useful advice out to people, so she'd be one of the ones I'd gravitate toward personally :smile

Bless you - thanks Clare :hug:

northernladuk
21st June 2012, 13:55
And her hugs are top notch!!

Didn't you just win a prestigious award earlier in the year as well Lisa?

SimonMac
21st June 2012, 13:56

About as prestigious as your award!

oscarose
21st June 2012, 14:00
About as prestigious as your award!

Jealously is a destructive emotion.

LisaContractorUmbrella
21st June 2012, 14:02

Oh yes so we did. Didn't you win a little something as well?

And here - have one of these :hug:

Clare@InTouch
21st June 2012, 14:04
Bless you - thanks Clare :hug:

You're very welcome. Awwwww look, I've started a love-in :D

LisaContractorUmbrella
21st June 2012, 14:04
Hi guys,

I'm taking the leap into Contracting soon, and would like to know the best Umbrella Company to use. I'm not going down the limited route as I'm a simple man, and hate any kind of paperwork and headaches!

All I'm looking for is a simple, straight down the line solution. I invoice X amount and X amount gets paid back to me. Obviously I'd like the highest percentage possible but I'm not looking for any dodgy schemes or any loan type agreements that have me looking over my shoulder for the rest of my life.

If anyone has any recommendations, I'd greatly appreciate it. Like I said, a simple, effective solution from a refutable company that is HMRC compliant and doesn't try to cut corners.

Thanks...

At the end of the day the only differences between PAYE umbrella companies will be the margin that they retain and their levels of service - everything else is dictated by HMR&C i.e. income tax rates, NI rates and what costs can legitimately be claimed as expenses.

HTH

northernladuk
21st June 2012, 14:22
You're very welcome. Awwwww look, I've started a love-in :D

I believe I can put that on my expenses as well! Bargain.

Clare@InTouch
21st June 2012, 14:31
I believe I can put that on my expenses as well! Bargain.

Absolutely, but I've no idea how you'd value it ;)

LisaContractorUmbrella
21st June 2012, 14:35
The kind of love you get on here is just priceless :happy

david909
21st June 2012, 15:32
I have set up a few umbrella companies in the past and I used planit-solutions.co.uk
(http://www.planit-solutions.co.uk/)
Generally good value and HMRC compliant

Waldorf
21st June 2012, 20:46
I have set up a few umbrella companies in the past and I used planit-solutions.co.uk

What does HMRC compliant mean?

northernladuk
21st June 2012, 21:36

You have set up Umbrella companies????

LisaContractorUmbrella
22nd June 2012, 06:26
What does HMRC compliant mean?

All it means is that the umbrella company complies with current tax legislation and HMR&C requirements which may be based in tax law or employment law e.g. an overarching contract of employment. Much as we would love HMR&C to approve individual umbrella companies through audit unfortunately it doesn't happen - they're probably all too busy checking out the comedy club :tongue

rhys1927
4th July 2012, 13:24
I used Nasa umbrella in bristol for two years. never once did i have an issue. charged me £9.99 a week and never paid me late once.

pm me if you want more details

Mod note: you don't have privileges rhys and I'm sure that readers can contact them if they're interested...

Wary
6th July 2012, 12:36
I used Nasa umbrella in bristol for two years. never once did i have an issue. charged me £9.99 a week and never paid me late once.

pm me if you want more details

Mod note: you don't have privileges rhys and I'm sure that readers can contact them if they're interested...

I've also used Nasa and will give them the big thumbs up. Payments were always prompt and there was not any issue with additional & underhand "employment costs" being deducted. They just charged the flat £9.99 weekly, plus £10 for each monthly pension payment ... and no hidden extras.

The Spartan
6th July 2012, 12:41
From personal experience I would say ContractorUmbrella their service is superb and they're always on hand to answer any questions you may have. Michelle was my account manager and she always did a superb job of turning around any queries I had, I left Parasol to join ContractorUmbrella and they showed how professional umbrella companies are run.

Bones
7th July 2012, 15:47
I asked ContractorUmbrella for a simple breakdown of take home pay showing income tax, NI, expenses and holiday pay for my rate...I am still waiting!?

LisaContractorUmbrella
9th July 2012, 08:12
I asked ContractorUmbrella for a simple breakdown of take home pay showing income tax, NI, expenses and holiday pay for my rate...I am still waiting!?

If you email me direct Bones lisa@contractorumbrella.com I will make sure that you have the information you need this morning; if you could also let me know who you spoke to I will address the issue as all our email enquiries are answered within 4 hours of receipt so it may just be that your email address was taken down incorrectly.

The Spartan
9th July 2012, 08:58

There's also a calculator on there website which is quite accurate as well

Bones
9th July 2012, 18:41
There's also a calculator on there website which is quite accurate as well

Yes I have used it but its just a basic calc for comparison purposes.

LisaContractorUmbrella
10th July 2012, 07:18
Yes I have used it but its just a basic calc for comparison purposes.

Unfortunately the PAYE system is complicated and has many variables; it is impossible for anyone to provide a 100% accurate calculation without detailed knowledge of your personal circumstances. Umbrella companies use a calculator which is based on the tax code for the current financial year to give an indication of earnings. At the end of the day your take home pay should be the same whichever umbrella company you use - the only difference would be their margin and, of course, the levels of service that you receive

grimmmy
3rd August 2012, 09:41
From personal experience I would say ContractorUmbrella their service is superb and they're always on hand to answer any questions you may have.

I've actually found them to be the complete opposite. I've attempted using them for the past 2 months but so far they've managed to delete my account once and today I find them want me to resend in my passport (or another ID) as apparently this hasn't been done already. Sadly, it has and I'm losing my patience with them as communication seems to have been done through 3 different account managers all supplying conflicting information.

I'm 100% sure things shouldn't be this difficult and it's making me consider doing all my own accounting.

LisaContractorUmbrella
3rd August 2012, 10:01
I've actually found them to be the complete opposite. I've attempted using them for the past 2 months but so far they've managed to delete my account once and today I find them want me to resend in my passport (or another ID) as apparently this hasn't been done already. Sadly, it has and I'm losing my patience with them as communication seems to have been done through 3 different account managers all supplying conflicting information.

I'm 100% sure things shouldn't be this difficult and it's making me consider doing all my own accounting.

If you would let me have details (lisa@contractorumbrella.com) grimmy I will look into your complaints immediately

Asho1
2nd July 2014, 18:10

Brookson? I have been with them for 7 years. Just like being in a relationship it's starts well them gets worse. They pay little attention to your account so please check your books with a fine comb or you may end up paying more taxes than required.

TheFaQQer
3rd July 2014, 08:08
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l556/TheFaqqer/thread_necromancer2.jpg

LisaContractorUmbrella
3rd July 2014, 08:12
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l556/TheFaqqer/thread_necromancer2.jpg

:confused:

v8gaz
3rd July 2014, 08:22
I think he's referring to raising the dead (threads)

TheFaQQer
3rd July 2014, 08:33
:confused:

Persistently resurrecting threads which died a few years ago.

LisaContractorUmbrella
3rd July 2014, 08:51
Ahhh ok I get it now :happy

northernladuk
3rd July 2014, 10:01
Ahhh ok I get it now :happy

Get with it grandma!!!

eek
3rd July 2014, 11:06
Get with it grandma!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpIkSeUmzrs

LisaContractorUmbrella