• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Police Officer Funeral

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Police Officer Funeral

Is it me, or is the police officer that got stabbed getting far more coverage than anyother member of 'joe public'? I mean, it is a terrible thing to happen, but why does she get special attention? ... and ... the story says that she heard a disturbance outside, and went to investigate.. with a knife! surely if you go out to investigate with a knife then you are going to come into some problems?

Views please!

Frickin hell , if I was a police officer in the UK I'd want a stab proof vest a big feck off knife and a small automatic before going outside in the day time let alone at night

Comment

Originally posted by NewbieContractor
      Is it me, or is the police officer that got stabbed getting far more coverage than anyother member of 'joe public'? I mean, it is a terrible thing to happen, but why does she get special attention? ... and ... the story says that she heard a disturbance outside, and went to investigate.. with a knife! surely if you go out to investigate with a knife then you are going to come into some problems?

Views please!
      because the murder of a police officer is less common than a murder of 'joe public'.

there are news values that journalists judge stories on - one of these is frequency of the event

Comment

Originally posted by IT contract agent
        because the murder of a police officer is less common than a murder of 'joe public'.

there are news values that journalists judge stories on - one of these is frequency of the event
        If she had been on duty at the time I might have some sympathy with that point, but as she was not then she is just another citizen.
        She was stabbed with the knife SHE was carrying. Had she gone unarmed she would probably be alive today.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
          If she had been on duty at the time I might have some sympathy with that point, but as she was not then she is just another citizen.
          She was stabbed with the knife SHE was carrying. Had she gone unarmed she would probably be alive today.

off duty or on duty she was a police office (or at least a special).

The point wasn't there for discussion I was being factual about news values.

Comment

The death of a plod gets more publicity because they (you know who they are) want you to be shocked by it and to fall into place.

The death of a politician gets even more coverage and the death of a royal just takes the piss.

The death of a squaddie in Iraq is no longer worth much of a mention, and the death of a civilian in Iraq is of no interest to anyone.

Psst...
            You ain't seen me... right?

Comment

it's great PR for them.

after what the top pc said about the soham murders.
              he accused the press of being racist.

the press have always accused the police of being racist.
              this is a great opportunity to correct that.

lines of plod turning out.

Comment

Working...
              X