PDA

View Full Version : Software Source Control Versioning

SimonMac
21st June 2012, 17:04
After a bit of help from our learned developers, does anyone have any resources that show's the benefits of source code version labeling, either power point presentation or white papers etc?!

I am trying to work with a load of developers that don't quite understand the concept, and I am hoping pretty pictures and small words might make it easier for them to understand.

minestrone
21st June 2012, 17:27
I worked for a place who used a directory on a shared drive for their flagship source code. It was as free for all with over writes. "where has my changes gone" had to be explained on a weekly basis to supposedly trained developers.

If you do get them on source control you have to tell them for months "some changes" is not a valid checkin description.

Working in IT seems to be dealing with idiots mostly.

FiveTimes
21st June 2012, 18:15
If you do get them on source control you have to tell them for months "some changes" is not a valid checkin description.

That's better than "stuff"

I've worked in a shared folder env and it was a nightmare. One of the easiest was RCS, but its a little old now.
SVN works and is easy for them to understand if they install tortoisesvn
I'd avoid clear case at all costs !

AtW
21st June 2012, 18:21
Working in IT seems to be dealing with idiots mostly.

That's like spending a day in CUK General? :smokin

Cliphead
21st June 2012, 18:23
That's better than "stuff"

I've worked in a shared folder env and it was a nightmare. One of the easiest was RCS, but its a little old now.
SVN works and is easy for them to understand if they install tortoisesvn
I'd avoid clear case at all costs !

+1 for tortoisesvn

d000hg
21st June 2012, 18:38
Only a bit here but other useful stuff too: The Joel Test: 12 Steps to Better Code - Joel on Software (http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000043.html)

Wiki has a chunk of detail but maybe not too good for intro: Revision control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revision_control)

However when I googled "why should i use version control" the top few looked nice like:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1408450/why-should-i-use-version-control

VectraMan
21st June 2012, 18:43
Speaking as a developer I can tell you there's nothing I appreciate more than having a numptie manager with no technical ability or understanding using Powerpoint to explain to me how I should do my job.

But yes, subversion is free and pretty easy. I've also worked in a shared folder environment, but that was 1993-1995.

SimonMac
21st June 2012, 18:52
The thing is they are using TFS, but just don't know how to use it properly

russell
21st June 2012, 19:05
Git or you are a retard.

d000hg
21st June 2012, 19:11
Git's main purpose is showing off how modern and cool and FOSS-aware you are.

russell
21st June 2012, 19:18

Nope it's fast, extremely reliable, distributed, easy to setup, low footprint and generally awesome.

minestrone
21st June 2012, 19:26

I agree.

GIT is an ego driven project taken up be ego driven users.

"WE ARE USING GIT OVER HERE, WE WANT TO SEND OUT LOADS OF MAILS ABOUT IT"

"WE USE LEGO ON OUT AGILE TEAM, DO YOU?"

"ARE YOU USING SVN? WE HAVE GIT, DO YOU KNOW WHAT GIT IS?"

stfu

russell
21st June 2012, 19:29
I agree.
I tried git and it was too complex for me, I need little pictures to click cause I am thick

FTFY

minestrone
21st June 2012, 19:37
Nope it's fast, extremely reliable, distributed, easy to setup, low footprint and generally awesome.

A bit like your wife.

russell
21st June 2012, 19:45
A bit like your wife.

:laugh

VectraMan
21st June 2012, 19:45

I set it up to play with. It's one of those open-source projects that you have to build before you can use it. So first download the code, then spend half an hour reading the instructions on how to build. Then spend another hour trying to find somewhere to download the build system it's using. Then spend another hour trying to work out how to build that...

russell
21st June 2012, 19:50
I set it up to play with. It's one of those open-source projects that you have to build before you can use it. So first download the code, then spend half an hour reading the instructions on how to build. Then spend another hour trying to find somewhere to download the build system it's using. Then spend another hour trying to work out how to build that...

******* clueless, you can install git using apt, yum there are installer for osx, windows.

d000hg
21st June 2012, 20:00
Nope it's fast, extremely reliable, distributed, easy to setup, low footprint and generally awesome.SVN is fast, reliable, easy to setup, etc as well. It's also very easy to use.

You shouldn't feel like you've accomplished something when you manage to commit your code... it's a key principle of software tools that the harder they are to use, the more people won't bother.

And no you don't need to build it yourself whoever complained about that... getting Git on my Windows PC was quite straightforward and it works fine, it's just understanding how to use it that is a PITA. We use the github flow which is about as simple as it gets and still SVN is much easier.

DVCS are very cool at merging but I would rather have SVN that can do the merging properly in the first place.

suityou01
21st June 2012, 20:15
After a bit of help from our learned developers, does anyone have any resources that show's the benefits of source code version labeling, either power point presentation or white papers etc?!

I am trying to work with a load of developers that don't quite understand the concept, and I am hoping pretty pictures and small words might make it easier for them to understand.

What developers in this day and age don't understand version control? Even Bobs use VC ffs.

russell
21st June 2012, 20:28
SVN is fast, reliable, easy to setup, etc as well. It's also very easy to use.

You shouldn't feel like you've accomplished something when you manage to commit your code... it's a key principle of software tools that the harder they are to use, the more people won't bother.

And no you don't need to build it yourself whoever complained about that... getting Git on my Windows PC was quite straightforward and it works fine, it's just understanding how to use it that is a PITA. We use the github flow which is about as simple as it gets and still SVN is much easier.

DVCS are very cool at merging but I would rather have SVN that can do the merging properly in the first place.

How is git clone or git commit or git push or git pull..hard? Maybe I am over estimating the intelligence of some of you, I had some of you pegged slightly above moron but looks like I was being optimistic.

suityou01
21st June 2012, 20:31
How is git clone or git commit or git push or git pull..hard? Maybe I am over estimating the intelligence of some of you, I had some of you pegged slightly above moron but looks like I was being optimistic.

It's only me and SAS. The rest are cretins :D

SimonMac
21st June 2012, 20:33
What developers in this day and age don't understand version control? Even Bobs use VC ffs.

These aren't even Bobs, so back to my original question before the bun fight over which technology is better than which (and you are all wrong, the best is StatTeam) does anyone know of any literature that can help me show them how versioning should work etc?

suityou01
21st June 2012, 20:40
These aren't even Bobs, so back to my original question before the bun fight over which technology is better than which (and you are all wrong, the best is StatTeam) does anyone know of any literature that can help me show them how versioning should work etc?

What are we talking here?

SimonMac
21st June 2012, 20:46
What are we talking here?

Natives!

Cliphead
21st June 2012, 20:52
Natives!

If they're that thick yer fcked.

HTH

d000hg
21st June 2012, 20:52
What developers in this day and age don't understand version control? Even Bobs use VC ffs.Lots of people who ended up doing dev work by accident, or in-house developers in places without any real software process.

And I've seen Bobs (from Tata) who made copies of the dir containing source code each time they changed stuff rather than use VC.

SimonMac
21st June 2012, 20:55
Lots of people who ended up doing dev work by accident, or in-house developers in places without any real software process.

And I've seen Bobs (from Tata) who made copies of the dir containing source code each time they changed stuff rather than use VC.

Bingo