• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Software Source Control Versioning

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Software Source Control Versioning

After a bit of help from our learned developers, does anyone have any resources that show's the benefits of source code version labeling, either power point presentation or white papers etc?!

I am trying to work with a load of developers that don't quite understand the concept, and I am hoping pretty pictures and small words might make it easier for them to understand.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

I worked for a place who used a directory on a shared drive for their flagship source code. It was as free for all with over writes. "where has my changes gone" had to be explained on a weekly basis to supposedly trained developers.

If you do get them on source control you have to tell them for months "some changes" is not a valid checkin description.

Working in IT seems to be dealing with idiots mostly.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

If you do get them on source control you have to tell them for months "some changes" is not a valid checkin description.
      That's better than "stuff"

I've worked in a shared folder env and it was a nightmare. One of the easiest was RCS, but its a little old now.
      SVN works and is easy for them to understand if they install tortoisesvn
      I'd avoid clear case at all costs !

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        Working in IT seems to be dealing with idiots mostly.
        That's like spending a day in CUK General?

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
          That's better than "stuff"

I've worked in a shared folder env and it was a nightmare. One of the easiest was RCS, but its a little old now.
          SVN works and is easy for them to understand if they install tortoisesvn
          I'd avoid clear case at all costs !
          +1 for tortoisesvn
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Only a bit here but other useful stuff too: The Joel Test: 12 Steps to Better Code - Joel on Software

Wiki has a chunk of detail but maybe not too good for intro: Revision control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However when I googled "why should i use version control" the top few looked nice like:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...ersion-control
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Speaking as a developer I can tell you there's nothing I appreciate more than having a numptie manager with no technical ability or understanding using Powerpoint to explain to me how I should do my job.

But yes, subversion is free and pretty easy. I've also worked in a shared folder environment, but that was 1993-1995.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

The thing is they are using TFS, but just don't know how to use it properly
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Git or you are a retard.

Comment

Git's main purpose is showing off how modern and cool and FOSS-aware you are.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X