• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lazy, useless team members: What to do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lazy, useless team members: What to do?

I need advice from the seasoned hard-asses on this board.

Currently working as a team of 4 contractors, 3 of us are clearly experts in our field and spend all day in busy, in depth conversations and activities creating the solution. We lead meetings with the permies and are worth every penny. The fourth does bugger all, his minimal skills, has clearly BS'd his CV to get there, has produced one diagram in 6 weeks and could be replaced by a cardboard cutout without any impact to the project.

Do we:
    a) Point out his uselessness to the Clientco and get rid of him?
    b) Point out his uselessness to the Clientco and get rid of him and offer to do his work for an increase in our rate?
    c) Leave it to the permies to work it out for themselves, if they ever do?
    d) Live and let live, it's not our problem, although it is sort of because i have to do his work for him.

What's the best path in this situation oh wise ones?

Originally posted by Mupps View Post

Currently working as a team of 4 contractors, 3 of us are clearly experts in our field and spend all day in busy, in depth conversations and activities creating the solution. We lead meetings with the permies and are worth every penny. The fourth does bugger all, his minimal skills, has clearly BS'd his CV to get there, has produced one diagram in 6 weeks and could be replaced by a cardboard cutout without any impact to the project.

Do we:
    b) Point out his uselessness to the Clientco and get rid of him and offer to do his work for an increase in our rate?
    d) Live and let live, it's not our problem, although it is sort of because i have to do his work for him.

b) and d) don't really apply as you've said he doesn't do anything. I'd go with a) personally. You can only mention it, after that what clientco does is upto them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
      b) and d) don't really apply as you've said he doesn't do anything. I'd go with a) personally. You can only mention it, after that what clientco does is upto them.
      WHS

But the three of you refuse to carry his load further without a rate increase
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

d) I admire his audacity.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

This is a very similar situation which occurred at my current client site 4 new guys and one was useless and obviously BS'ed on his CV and he even dared to complain to HR as a contractor about the work he was given.

A couple of the contractors in my team decided to talk about him behind his back at a works drinks to the boss which the said contractor wasn't attending. The next day he was marched into the office and then marched out of the building, it was shocking as I've never seen that before in any IT role I've worked in.

I then began to wonder what the two contractors who successfully sacked the contractor were saying about me as I later learned that one of them bumped into the ousted guy in the street months later and never revealed that he was the instigator of his ejection from the building.

In a nutshell doing this creates mistrust within a team of contractors (i never 100% trusted my fellow contractors after this) but the alternative may have meant increased chances of the project failing carrying a guy who was not capable.

Comment

You should have got in first and left the other 2 wondering about you...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Don't worry about it Mupps. The other three have caught you out, but hopefully you'll be able to offer more as time goes by.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Don't worry about it Mupps. The other three have caught you out, but hopefully you'll be able to offer more as time goes by.
                Damn, i've been rumbled.

Comment

Damn, i've been rumbled.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Do we:

Why is it *your* problem?

If you have dependencies on his deliverables raise it with your manager.

If he has no impact on you personally keep your nose out.

Comment

Working...
                    X