• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company Formation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company Formation

i am starting a new contract in 2 weeks. I want to set up a limited company. Does anyone know a good formation company to use? Also can anyone recommend a good accountant.

I used the CUK formation service.

I am the accountant too
    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Someone recommended that I use a software package called Quickbooks to do all my accounts and not use an accountant. Would you recommend this or would it be best to use an accountant for the 1st year?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonnabee
        Someone recommended that I use a software package called Quickbooks to do all my accounts and not use an accountant. Would you recommend this or would it be best to use an accountant for the 1st year?
        I use Sage, which sucks. Can't say the same for QB as I've not used it but it's probably better. There are plenty of books out there explaining what you need to do to run a Limited company.

You do not NEED an accountant but there is a LOT to learn.
        Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Thanks. Looks like I need to do a lot more reading.

Comment

I'm using Quickbooks and I have an accountant. Get the accountant first and find out what they use. My accountant set up my software and trained me in the use of QBs.

I use QB for bookkeeping and my accountant for sorting out the legal and tax stuff (saves me more than I pay him, btw...).

My bookeeping (which includes creating and sending out invoices) takes a few minutes per day.

I'm up-to-date with my accounts and can send everything off to the accountant the moment I've reconciled my year-end bank balance.

I like QB as it auto updates with tax and VAT codes and the like (Sage probably does the same) - this is the only reason I wouldn't recommend Gnucash (unless there's a company out there that can provide tax support for it).
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak
              I like QB as it auto updates with tax and VAT codes and the like
              Did you buy a uk specific version or is country independent and configurable for updates?

Thanks.

Comment

Just get it from a UK distributer (on or offline) and follow the installation instructions.

I can't remember the detail but it was no big deal...
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
                  Did you buy a uk specific version or is country independent and configurable for updates?

Thanks.
                  You will need a UK version.

Comment

and more

Comment

Working...
                    X