• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Those Racist Eastern Europeans Again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those Racist Eastern Europeans Again

Apparently we never win Eurovision because those "backward knuckle dragging" Slavs are too racist to vote for the people of colour who represent us.

Link

I'm beginning to find all this posturing on racism by certain sections of the media excruciatingly embarrassing.

Take the other night. BBC news leading story - the monkey chants directed at black members of the Dutch squad during training from a tiny minority of the crowd. This, on the day there was another massacre in Syria. Sure it's bad but let's not be too hasty to point the finger - it was only 15 years or so ago that bananas were being lobbed at John Barnes in our own fair country. And you have to wonder what levels of racism would we still be experiencing if football crowds weren't so intensely policed.

It's usually lefties who shout racism at the drop of a hat, not the Mail?

They are backward in parts of Europe, but I'm not sure about Eurovision. Didn't the dusky Jade Ewen do OK for UK three or four years ago, but the blond blue-eyed twosome Gemini come last with the UK's only ever nul points?

I blame politics and UK's crap songs. The UK have few political friends in Europe and Englebert's song was totally boring. Where are those jolly numbers that delivered glory for Lulu and Bucks Fizz?

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
      Apparently we never win Eurovision because those "backward knuckle dragging" Slavs are too racist to vote for the people of colour who represent us.

Link

I'm beginning to find all this posturing on racism by certain sections of the media excruciatingly embarrassing.

Take the other night. BBC news leading story - the monkey chants directed at black members of the Dutch squad during training from a tiny minority of the crowd. This, on the day there was another massacre in Syria. Sure it's bad but let's not be too hasty to point the finger - it was only 15 years or so ago that bananas were being lobbed at John Barnes in our own fair country. And you have to wonder what levels of racism would we still be experiencing if football crowds weren't so intensely policed.
      It doesn't happen now. Have you seen the cost of bananas these days?
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

It wouldn't surprise me if monkeys don't like bananas anyhow. Since finding out that mice don't like cheese I have no trust in anything.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

I blame politics and UK's crap songs. The UK have few political friends in Europe and Englebert's song was totally boring.
          Agreed.

Our Eurovision songs are generally cr*p.

Considering we have decent song writers and singers whose music you cannot escape from in lots of Europe something is wrong in how the songs are selected.

Oh and there are several groups who have reported odd questions from the foreign media when they have been abroad. However it's not stopped people in that country buying their music or going to their sell-out concerts.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Link

Very true. When I watched Leeds in the 80's Terry Connor got the :nazi: salute from a section of his own fans.

one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Agreed.

Our Eurovision songs are generally cr*p.
              Because they're not sung in Russian. I want Scootch back, but singing in Russian and lip syncing, as it should be.
              <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Take the other night. BBC news leading story - the monkey chants directed at black members of the Dutch squad during training from a tiny minority of the crowd.
                Just a little fact that might explain the complaints from the Dutch trainer. BBC Sport - Football - Poland dismiss coach Beenhakker

As I remember Leo was very $^&%! and this whole wooly accusations may be his way of getting even?

And another thing - we love foreign performers, dark skin in Poland is almost a guarantee of the sucesful career as a singer, actor or the TV presenter.
                If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

<mod>racist epithet removed</mod>
                  Mods: I was being ironic.

I don't believe that Eastern Europeans are <RacistEpithetDeleted/> but I was pointing out that recent coverage by the BBC (re Euro 2012) wants to give the impression that Eastern Europe is full of white racist thugs.

Personally, I don't really believe that to be true and I find the BBC's posturing somewhat misplaced given our own recent history.

Comment

I understood that it was irony, but still I don't think it was acceptable. It should have been in quotes to make it really clear. I'll edit it now.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X