• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobile broadband for old person

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile broadband for old person

My elderly Uncle is about to move to a new care home where BT Broadband is not available.
    He currently has cable broadband.

He uses the Internet on a laptop and his smart TV on his "good" days with his one functioning hand.
    On bad days, he does not know what a laptop is:-(

I do his remote IT support via TeamViewer.

The new care home has a good signal with 3.

I'm thinking of getting either a 3 MiFi dongle to use with the laptop or a 3 USB dongle and a router to use with the laptop + TV.

The most important thing is a connection that is always on - he won't cope with having to do anything extra to get online and I need access without having to talk him through connection.
    Second most important is up-time - he can't move and it's a real pain getting care workers to reboot IT kit!

Anyone using one of these gizmos got any suggestions as to specific models to get / avoid?
    Will the always on bit work?

Ta

It will need to be always plugged in or else it will go flat after 2-3 hours of use
    It will need resetting occasionally and the power button is a bit on the fiddly side
    If he's watching TV shows with it then he'll probably burn through the bandwidth allowance in 2 weeks
    Although the overall speed is good pings can be a bit slow and the ping time can vary massively.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Thanks Spacecadet.

If it's left on a charger, will the MiFi stay on?

Once the laptop is connected once, does it automatically reconnect after reboots like a normal WiFi?

I need a solution that I can set up and leave working.

Not too worried about data allowance - I suspect streaming video usage will be minimal.

Comment

Hm......

I'm thinking about one of these 3G routers:-
        Netgear Mbrn3000

and one of the 3 USB dongles plugged into the router.

That gets WiFi out of the support loop as the laptop and the TV can be connected to the router via Cat5.

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
          If it's left on a charger, will the MiFi stay on?
          yes

Once the laptop is connected once, does it automatically reconnect after reboots like a normal WiFi?
          As long as your laptop (or other device) is configures to automatically connect, then yes, it will connect automatically just like it was a normal wifi router.

I need a solution that I can set up and leave working.
          They are good but not quite as carefree as a regular broadband router.

Has the care home not got internet he can use?
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            Has the care home not got internet he can use?
            No - they are part of a group so have corporate internet but it's not available to the inmates.

There are 40+ oldies there and none are online.

Ta for the comments re the MiFi

Comment

Working...
            X