PDA

View Full Version : How much mobile data do you use a day?

d000hg
23rd June 2012, 15:06
I'm thinking of upgrading my phone and never used one for internet access before. I WFH nearly the whole time so would use WiFi, but on the times I go outside being able to use email without incurring a heavy fee would be nice.

I've literally no idea how much data simple email takes up over the course of a day so for those geeks who monitor such things, any idea what you get through would be nice!

For instance many contracts include only 100Mb/month... but if I only use my phone on 3G a few days a month that might be fine.

Thanksyou :)

MarillionFan
23rd June 2012, 15:12
I'm thinking of upgrading my phone and never used one for internet access before. I WFH nearly the whole time so would use WiFi, but on the times I go outside being able to use email without incurring a heavy fee would be nice.

I've literally no idea how much data simple email takes up over the course of a day so for those geeks who monitor such things, any idea what you get through would be nice!

For instance many contracts include only 100Mb/month... but if I only use my phone on 3G a few days a month that might be fine.

Thanksyou :)

I haven't used 100MB in 3 years of having an iPhone. I normally only download stuff when in a Wifi zone.

NickFitz
23rd June 2012, 15:26
For email and web browsing, I've never come even close to reaching the limit. The only time I have hit the limit has been when streaming video fairly frequently over 3G; most apps don't let you do that anyway.

ctdctd
23rd June 2012, 15:30
From this link (http://cow.neondragon.net/index.php/what-does-500mb-or-1gb-internet-actually-mean-explaining-mobile-data-limits):-
To me 100MB sounds fine for occasional use so long as you don't download or stream anything

500MB = 1GB =
Basic webpages (mainly text) 5,000 10,000
Rich webpages (with multimedia) 1,500 3,000
Basic e-mails 500,000 1,000,000
Rich e-mails (with attachments) 1,000 2,000
Downloading/streaming music 100 songs 200 songs
Downloading/streaming video 1 hour 2 hours
Skype voice call 15 hours 30 hours
Skype video call 2 hours 4 hours
Listening to online radio 8 hours 16 hours
Downloading/updating apps 80 apps 160 apps

ETA - Bloody formatting - the preview is fine! Just click the link!

SimonMac
23rd June 2012, 15:33
I am a heavy user and I use about 500mb a month

minestrone
23rd June 2012, 15:34
I noticed that angry birds rio shifted 25 meg of adverts down the pipe during a month of solid playing.

AtW
23rd June 2012, 15:35
Approximately 1 KB at best on SMS messages.

:cool:

Spacecadet
23rd June 2012, 16:07
Streaming pr0n can consume a surprisingly large amount

Gonzo
25th June 2012, 07:21
On my last overseas trip I got through 4MB of data in about ten minutes. That worked out quite expensive. :mad:

Scrag Meister
25th June 2012, 07:35
I had an unlimited IPhone data contract with O2 before I switched to the Galaxy S2, still with O2, and was then limited to 500Mb per month.

I did some checks before hand and the most I had used during any month during the 2 year IPhone contract was 270Mb. So 500Mb was still nearly twice my highest monthly usage.

d000hg
25th June 2012, 13:03
Thanks all. Sounds like for my limited use, 100Mb/month would be just fine.

Anyone know how much data Google Maps uses... I can imagine that might be a common use for me when I'm out of the house?

northernladuk
25th June 2012, 13:07
Thanks all. Sounds like for my limited use, 100Mb/month would be just fine.

Anyone know how much data Google Maps uses... I can imagine that might be a common use for me when I'm out of the house?

What do you need maps for? Could you not get a satnav app?

Have you got your contract yet? Push them hard on the contract. Despite what they say then can give away data bundles as a sweetner so kick up a stink and get them to double it before you sign?

Also do you use BT? Might be eligble to use their Openworld hotspots thing as part of your package so more free roaming wifi rather than using data?

d000hg
25th June 2012, 13:21
Regarding maps, is the difference simply that you can store satnav maps offline - is that what you were getting at?

Good call on chasing a better package though. I've been with O2 approaching a decade so will push them on it - however since I'm after one of the cheapest packages I'm not sure how interested they'll be to keep me compared to someone paying £40pcm!

northernladuk
25th June 2012, 13:23
Regarding maps, is the difference simply that you can store satnav maps offline - is that what you were getting at?

Good call on chasing a better package though. I've been with O2 approaching a decade so will push them on it - however since I'm after one of the cheapest packages I'm not sure how interested they'll be to keep me compared to someone paying £40pcm!

Go straight to customer retention and keep banging on about being a loyal customer and no one rewards loyalty. Why should you stay with them when you can get the same deal in a vodafone store around the corner, come on, give me something and I will say.... something like more data.....

Get annoyed and then feed them the solution to which they only have to say yes to get rid of you. Works with the vodafone muppets.

£40 quid guys have a £500 phone which they don't make much on and is likely to hammer their system and then leave when the next new phone is out with someone else. Nice quiet long term customer who doesn't cost them much is a steady little earner.

darmstadt
25th June 2012, 13:46
I thought I used a lot (I have a flatrate with high speed connectivity apparently) as I have bugger all to do at work so thank heavens for smartphones but looking at the data usage for 1/6 to today:

Total: 36.87mb used (in May it was 13mb, April 17.12mb and March 20.65mb)
Facebook: 21.6mb
Google+: 7.79mb
Opera Mobile: 4.42mb
Twitter: 2.05mb
Android OS: 337kb
Google Services: 238kb
Mobilbox Pro: 196kb (download voicemail)
Exchange Services: 118kb
Maps: 113kb
EURO 2012: 24.24kb
Mail: 11.45kb
Jewels Deluxe: 2.23kb (I tend to play games offline as ads get on my moobs)

ICS also shows background data usage and nice graphs on where it was going along with options to restrict your usage.

lukemg
25th June 2012, 15:25
I need to use a smartphone as a wifi spot, anyone doing this/got any recommendations ?

Spacecadet
25th June 2012, 15:31
£40 quid guys have a £500 phone which they don't make much on

Sim only contracts are £10 a month
THe top phones are £35 ish per month for 2 years

thats a £25 premium for the phone over 24 months = £600 + £100 up front for some of the very top phones (Samsung Galaxy SIII for example)

They do make money on the phones, thats why they push them so hard