• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wine clubs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wine clubs

For pretentious arses or worth the money?
    I'm thinking about doing a wine tasting course so I can get to grips with the ropes. Looking at the wine society just now.

Anyone else belong?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    I'm thinking about doing a wine tasting course so I can get to grips with the ropes. Looking at the wine society just now.

Anyone else belong?
    They're for pretentious arses with money to burn

If you want to discuss wine with other like minded twats then they are worth the money.
    I advise you spend it down the pub instead

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0126101053.htm
    Last edited by Spacecadet; 23 June 2012, 16:12.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

I know someone who did this and she didn't sound pretentious or arsey about it at all: Home
      If anything it seems to give her the innate ability to identify bloody good wine at normal prices, from any bewildering supermarket's selection.

I've been to a wine tasting club with colleagues before and it was a snooty waste of time. We ended up defecting to a nearby pub.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
        I know someone who did this and she didn't sound pretentious or arsey about it at all: Home
        If anything it seems to give her the innate ability to identify bloody good wine at normal prices, from any bewildering supermarket's selection.

I've been to a wine tasting club with colleagues before and it was a snooty waste of time. We ended up defecting to a nearby pub.
        WHS

My wife and I both belong to a wine "club".

The club enables us to try wines we wouldn't normally consider.

Unfortunately, having a young offspring precludes consuming most of what we collect.
        Last edited by SupremeSpod; 23 June 2012, 16:21.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post

I've been to a wine tasting club with colleagues before and it was a snooty waste of time. We ended up defecating in a nearby pub.

You disgust me.

What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

You disgust me.

It was clearly bad wine.

Comment

First rule of Wine Club, is you don't talk about Wine Club!
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I talk to people who know more about wine than I do, get some recommendations and try out one or two. If I like them find somewhere online to get them cheap or maybe even young to be stored for drinking in a year or two.

We also club together and not quite buy in bulk but definitley get the better deals than what's on offer in Tesco with superior wine.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

I'm a bit old-fashioned when it comes to this kind of thing - if it tastes good to me, then it's a good wine. Don't like people telling me what is good or not.
                  Try some inexpensive bin end cases before you commit to anything?
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

Anyone else belong?
                    Wine society is probably worth it but you do need to know your stuff.

If you're not a wine buff and don't really care then Laithwaites would be fine, as Zippy says try the bin end cases, they are a good introduction and you get a varied sample.

A tasting course isn't really going to give you enough experience or knowledge. Try signing up for a WSET course

Or find yourself a good wine merchant and benefit from their experience and suggestions, I'd suggest these guys in Olney, not too far from you.
                    Last edited by norrahe; 24 June 2012, 09:32.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X