PDA

View Full Version : England Vs Italy

minestrone
24th June 2012, 14:43
England lose.

Terry to act like a complete knob at some point.

Should go something like that.

AtW
24th June 2012, 15:01
Rooney to get red card in second half.

bless 'em all
24th June 2012, 15:11
England to win.

There, I've said it.

It won't be a pretty game, but I think there's a team going out onto that pitch tonight, rather than 11 individuals.

AtW
24th June 2012, 15:15
I think there's a team going out onto that pitch tonight, rather than 11 individuals.

Yes and the team's name is Nazionale di calcio dell’Italia...

bless 'em all
24th June 2012, 15:19
Yes and the team's name is Nazionale di calcio dell’Italia...

How did Russia get on in the competition?

Engerrrrlund, Engerluund, Engerlunnd ... repeat a few times.

AtW
24th June 2012, 15:25
How did Russia get on in the competition?

Russia achieved exactly what it deserved :happy

I'll support England tonight as long as it shows will to win :wink

dmo
24th June 2012, 16:03
Let's hope the footy goes Britains way.. Like the f1 :ind

oracleslave
24th June 2012, 16:21
England to win on penalties.....I hope.

cojak
24th June 2012, 16:27
England to win 1 - 0.

But it's been an excellent tournament, and we've already gone further than I expected so I won't mind provided it's a good game. :)

suityou01
24th June 2012, 16:29
England to win 1 - 0.

But it's been an excellent tournament, and we've already gone further than I expected so I won't mind provided it's a good game. :)

England to absolutely batter Italy and get everone's hopes up needlessly. :rolleyes:

Alf W
24th June 2012, 16:31
Super Mario to score and then get sent off......

minestrone
24th June 2012, 16:40
Super Mario to score and then get sent off......

That is going to be intersting that one, I can see him getting in afters on a leg.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/4/16/1302984766508/Mario-Balotelli-Rio-Ferdi-005.jpg

russell
24th June 2012, 18:36
Think England will win, they have some decent young players and I think Hodgson has got _it_.

AtW
24th June 2012, 18:43
I think Hodgson has got _it_.

We'll know soon :smokin

AtW
24th June 2012, 18:47
Based on first 2 minutes Italy will walk all over England...

MarillionFan
24th June 2012, 18:51
Goal!!!! Rooney!!!!!

AtW
24th June 2012, 19:28
Super Mario will score.

Or get red card.

Possibly both in different order.

MarillionFan
24th June 2012, 19:30
Super Mario will score.

Or get red card.

Possibly both in different order.

I concur. He's getting better and better.

Rooney. You are shit.

russell
24th June 2012, 19:36
Get Rooney, Milner off and bring on Oxlade and Carol on.

oracleslave
24th June 2012, 19:38
Get Rooney, Milner off and bring on Oxlade and Carol on.

Agree, but think they should bring Carroll on as Carol sounds like a 60 year old hairdresser.

AtW
24th June 2012, 19:52
Two good goalkeepers everybody else is tulip.

MarillionFan
24th June 2012, 20:02
Italy looking dangerous.

Walcott come on!

MarillionFan
24th June 2012, 20:09
FFS! String at least 5 passes together!

swamp
24th June 2012, 20:10
Even if England nick this, there is no way we will get past Germany.

AtW
24th June 2012, 20:18
Even if England nick this, there is no way we will get past Germany.

WHS

The game will be over in 5 minutes because Germans won't miss like this ...

AtW
24th June 2012, 20:20
Italians making strange changes...

MarillionFan
24th June 2012, 20:21
I hope we don't win this. I don't think we could live down a 10-0 drubbing from Germany.

AtW
24th June 2012, 20:23
England will prevail.

If not today then in 1000 years.

MarillionFan
24th June 2012, 20:25
England will prevail.

If not today then in 1000 years.

Which is 99000 years less than Scotland

Alf W
24th June 2012, 20:31
This has got penalties written all over it. Lets dispense with Extra Time and get it over with. Eyeties are dull, play acting shirt pullers.

swamp
24th June 2012, 20:33
Well that miss by Rooney would have been a good way to win the game. :ohwell

MarillionFan
24th June 2012, 20:35
Well that miss by Rooney would have been a good way to win the game. :ohwell

I would have got that scissor kick in to the top of the net from the halfway line & written a poem about it.

Minestrone.

pacharan
24th June 2012, 20:45
If we get through this we can thank Terry. Again. Glen Johnson having a good game too.

AtW
24th June 2012, 21:11
Sven had more emotions than Roy :laugh

Cliphead
24th June 2012, 21:12
Italy the best team but not finishing. Looks like penalties and a chance to nick it for England.

Alf W
24th June 2012, 21:13
Well at least this must be torturing Scottish fans much more than it is us English fans.

dmo
24th June 2012, 21:13
They all look so bored. Penalty time.

AtW
24th June 2012, 21:14
Did England win on penalties before?

dmo
24th June 2012, 21:15
I'd actually like Italy to win. Italy v Germany would be a better game... Way more action than England v. Germany

swamp
24th June 2012, 21:17
Well at least this must be torturing Scottish fans much more than it is us English fans.

Do Scottish fans really watch this drivel? Surely they would be watching some rubbish documentary on Channel 4.

AtW
24th June 2012, 21:19
Scottish fans will surely be buying extra whisky rounds using freshly printed £100 banknotes

FTFY

Cliphead
24th June 2012, 21:21

Why?

AtW
24th June 2012, 21:25
Well, the best team won.

That's victory for football...

Cliphead
24th June 2012, 21:25
Too bad, penalties are a lottery it seems.

MarillionFan
24th June 2012, 21:29
Least we avoid being humiliated in the next round

Cliphead
24th June 2012, 21:30
John Terry kept you in there to the end, man of the match for me.

russell
24th June 2012, 21:36
Pirlo's penalty summed Italy up and Cole's summed England up.

Mr.Whippy
24th June 2012, 21:43
John Terry kept you in there to the end, man of the match for me.+1 as much as it pains me to say it, he was great tonight. In fact the entire back 4 was great.

CoolerKing
24th June 2012, 22:02
Diamontes are forever forever forever....

Mr.Whippy
24th June 2012, 22:05
Diamontes are forever forever forever....That would've been so much funnier if you'd spelt it right ;)

NorthWestPerm2Contr
24th June 2012, 22:19
Pirlo single handedly made England look like Bolton.

Italy vs Germany and Spain vs Portugal exactly right.

cojak
24th June 2012, 22:31

No, England made England look like Bolton.

Cliphead
24th June 2012, 22:34
England held Italy all the way to penalties despite the pressure, no shame.

AtW
24th June 2012, 22:48
England held Italy all the way to penalties despite the pressure, no shame.

Italy was very unlucky not to score 3-4 goals.

saptastic
24th June 2012, 23:05

Our manager made England look like Bolton.
No one at international level plays 4-4-2 like Woy.
He may as well have given Pirlo Freedom of the pitch at the beginning.
He will never suceed with England.

sbakoola
24th June 2012, 23:51
I think that Parker was a poor player, where did they drag him from ?

Also the England goal keeper is ok but he should go back to stand up ... see below. ..

http://birminghamhippodrome.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/julian-clary1.jpg

Francko
25th June 2012, 05:12
England played a very innovative football last night in the second part of the game. I'd use a new word for that, "catenaccio". Oh wait...

cojak
25th June 2012, 05:28
Franko: Last post November 2011.

Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out, will you?

sasguru
25th June 2012, 07:37
I said it in the last game - Rooney unbalanced what looked like a promising new team. He was a complete passenger. As was Young.
Gerrard had a poor match. Defence was rock solid though, even that koont Terry.
If only we still had someone to distribute the ball like Scholes, or even Becks FFS.
But the result is the correct result for England.
Quarter-finals is where we're at till some youngsters come through with better skills - when is that Youth academy starting again?

shaunbhoy
25th June 2012, 07:44
I said it in the last game - Rooney unbalanced what looked like a promising new team. He was a complete passenger. As was Young.
If only we still had someone to distribute the ball like Scholes, or even Becks FFS.
Quarter-finals is where we're at till some youngsters come through with better skills - when is that Youth academy starting again?

!!!!!!!!!sasguru in talking sense shocker!!!!!!!! :eek :eek :eek

Who's hacked his account??

:laugh

doodab
25th June 2012, 07:55

I'd agree with that. I think Gerrard was sitting far too deep and never got the opportunity to hurt them. Young had an awful tournament. Milner actually had quite a good game last night in patches. I thought Carroll looked decent as well. The main problem is that we gave the ball away too easily, too often. On the few occasions we managed to keep it and knock it about we worked some good openings and could have had a few goals ourselves. We do seem to have a problem with the front line rushing in a bit prematurely so that when the ball comes into the box it's behind literally everyone.

A fair result IMO.

BoredBloke
25th June 2012, 08:41
I couldn't watch the game as I had to drive back down south and so had to make do with 5Live. They all roundly slated England, their tactics and their ability. Chris Waddle was the best. Why can england not hold the ball? This lot all play in the premiership and all can hold the ball for their respective teams, but as soon as they play for England that abilty seems to go as they pull on the shirt. Against the Ukraine our collection of 'world class' show ponies were generally outplayed by players nobody has heard of.

Nothing has changed over the past 2 years. We are as bad now as we were then. We finished last night with stats that were worse than what Greece managed, playing a side which isn't as good as the Gemans. Had the Italians actually taken some of their chances then the scorline might have reflected this. Over the 120 minutes the Italians completed over 800 passes. England managed about 350. We are shockingly bad! Commentators were ridiculing Greece for their negative style of play and then appllauding England when they do exactly the same. Personally I'm glad they are out. We were dominated in all 3 of our group games but squeaked through each one and then found wanting when we played the first quality team we met!

psychocandy
25th June 2012, 08:45
Bit gutted England lost...

Was looking forward to the media ramming it down our throats at every opportunity when England won the tournament.:tongue

pacharan
25th June 2012, 09:09
Well what do you expect from playing this rigid 442 system.

We needed more in midfield to be able to get more of a grip on the game and string some decent sequences of passes together.

That said, Lord knows where we're going to find a player with even a fraction of the quality of Pirlo among the emerging group of players. Jack Wilshere and Tom Cleverly perhaps?

BoredBloke
25th June 2012, 09:24

We needed more in midfield to be able to get more of a grip on the game and string some decent sequences of passes together.

That said, Lord knows where we're going to find a player with even a fraction of the quality of Pirlo among the emerging group of players. Jack Wilshere and Tom Cleverly perhaps?

The problem with England is not the system, it's the quality and mindset of the players. The insistance that it has to be played quick and relying on the long ball. How many passes do we string together before somebody punts it down the pitch. You don't see Spain or the Germans punting hopeful balls out towards their forwards. These players play often in the champoins league and know that this particular style simply doesn't work.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
25th June 2012, 09:51
The problem with England is not the system, it's the quality and mindset of the players. The insistance that it has to be played quick and relying on the long ball. How many passes do we string together before somebody punts it down the pitch. You don't see Spain or the Germans punting hopeful balls out towards their forwards. These players play often in the champoins league and know that this particular style simply doesn't work.

The thing is really sad is this happens with the poorer teams as well as Italy, Spain etc....

I just don't get why they don't stop for a bit and try passing it? They have to just hoof it up towards Carroll/Welbeck. It's a complete and utter joke. They need to invest in the youth system and bring over some Spanish and Brazilian coaches - in 10-15 years you will start to see a different England.

SimonMac
25th June 2012, 09:52
Where is the guy from the Mars advert when England need him!

Bunk
25th June 2012, 09:59
England played a very innovative football last night in the second part of the game. I'd use a new word for that, "catenaccio". Oh wait...

Except that wasn't catenaccio. Nothing like it.

Scoobos
25th June 2012, 14:44
Once again we squander our already slim chances by insisting on playing a "hero" that if anything, has only proved that hes a club player only.

Rooney == John Barnes on the international stage ; we are a better team without him.

adubya
25th June 2012, 14:51
The thing is really sad is this happens with the poorer teams as well as Italy, Spain etc....

I just don't get why they don't stop for a bit and try passing it? They have to just hoof it up towards Carroll/Welbeck. It's a complete and utter joke. They need to invest in the youth system and bring over some Spanish and Brazilian coaches - in 10-15 years you will start to see a different England.

A post from a mate on another forum:-

"I was talking to the head coach of the local kids team yesterday. The FA is handing down edicts about the structure of kids football - and at young age groups (up to 11yo I think he said) the FA want kids to play small sided games - 5v5, then 7v7, then 9v9 through the age groups - all with the intent that players get more ball time and become comfortable passing and controlling the thing. The parents hate it because they don't understand it, they just want to see 22 7 year olds on a full sized pitch chasing the same ball around. It's not the fault of the 14 that represented England tonight, or the current management structure, this goes back 20-odd years, and will take another 3 or 4 world cup cycles to work through."

Francko
25th June 2012, 15:27

But you have. You have excellent players like Gerrard, Terry or Rooney (well Gerrard isn't that young any longer but so isn't Pirlo). They just don't seem to work well together. I think the best player at the moment in the world is Ribery but he just couldn't perform well in a team where he's left alone all the time. Winning a tournament is not just about having the best players. You do need a big star or two but you will never have 11 stars and it's the other 9-10 players that let you win a competition and not the opposite.

Francko
25th June 2012, 15:28
Franko: Last post November 2011.

Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out, will you?

Don't stare at it too much, you can't have it. :moon::wave:

oscarose
25th June 2012, 15:29
But you have. You have excellent players like Gerrard, Terry or Rooney (well Gerrard isn't that young any longer but so isn't Pirlo). They just don't seem to work well together. I think the best player at the moment in the world is Ribery but he just couldn't perform well in a team where he's left alone all the time. Winning a tournament is not just about having the best players. You do need a big star or two but you will never have 11 stars and it's the other 9-10 players that let you win a competition and not the opposite.

:tumble:

FiveTimes
25th June 2012, 15:51
Well the dust has settled on another tournament.
Am I disappointed ? No
Am I surprised ? No

Did the FA adjust everyone's expectations by appointing Roy ? Possibly, but I think he drilled the team well and made some brave decisions. Although he wasn't brave enough to sub Rooney or Young.

The england players are just that - players. They are not a team and are a long way off it.

I've been impressed with a few players - Lescott & Johnson had good tournaments. And Carroll had a good few cameos appearances

There will have to be some more pain before a new team is born. The likes of Cahill, Smalling, Jones are all in with a shout at the back.
In the middle Wiltshire has a chance and more starts from the ox.
Up top we have the likes of Sturridge to come in.

We gave the Italians too much time and never closed them down, and that was probably due to being tired. Parker/Gerrard should have been rested against Sweden but we didn't have the players to rotate.

all in all what we got was the best we could have expected.

BoredBloke
25th June 2012, 16:07
Once again we squander our already slim chances by insisting on playing a "hero" that if anything, has only proved that hes a club player only.

Rooney == John Barnes on the international stage ; we are a better team without him.

Don't really agree with that. It's hard for a forward in a team that isn't performing. Rooney and Barnes both played in teams that were at their peak and dominated most games. At that level you forget the chances they waste because another is along soon enough. In a pi55 poor team like england they have to take their chances because they might not get another. I don't recall our front line covering itself in glory against France.

England must be easy to play against. The same old tired tactics that don't bring about any joy. The problem is that it is what the fans like in the domestic game and until that changes it's hard to see England changing!

petergriffin
25th June 2012, 22:01
Let's look at the positives: England fared a bit better than Ireland and way better than Scotland.

Cliphead
25th June 2012, 22:03
Let's look at the positives: England fared a bit better than Ireland and way better than Scotland.

Oh dear, another hurting w4nker.

:laugh

oscarose
26th June 2012, 09:19
Nothing new here.

Spain and Germany are head and shoulders above the rest. I don't see their leagues overun with cheap foriegn imports.

Yes, the EPL good for sky sports (£) and the world wide audience but for the national team...

Nothing's changing soon...

Simples.

:o