• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear: Banned by half-baked bureaucracy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear: Banned by half-baked bureaucracy

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...207296,00.html

"A home-made birthday cake for a 96-year-old man has fallen foul of health and safety police

HE WAS born before the discovery of antibiotics and survived the Depression and two world wars, yet staff at a day centre run by Age Concern decided that it was too much of a risk to let him eat a slice of home-made birthday cake.
    The Madeira cake was baked for the 96-year-old man by Elaine Richards, a retired district nursing sister and a member of the Women’s Institute.

But when Mrs Richards, who is in her 70s, tried to deliver the cake to her elderly friend, who does not wish to be identified, her contribution to the birthday fare was rejected because of food and hygiene rules.

She was told by staff at the day centre in Barnstaple, North Devon, that only shop-bought cakes were acceptable.

",

Milan.

Originally posted by milanbenes
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...207296,00.htmlAge Concern decided that it was too much of a risk to let him eat a slice of home-made birthday cake.

...that only shop-bought cakes were acceptable.
    Well I'm sure the Alginates, Lecithin, Mono-& Diglycerides, Methyl Cellulose, Carrageenan, Glyceride, Pectin, Guar Gum, Sodium Aluminosilicate, Propionic Acid & its Salts, Butylated Hydroxy anisole (BHA), Butylated Hydroxytoluene (BHT), Benzoates, Sodium Nitrite, Aspartame, Saccharin, FD&C Red No.40 will improve his immune system no end...
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Stop it, you're making me hungry.....

Comment

staff at the day centre in Barnstaple, North Devon
        Should be dragged out, put in the stocks, and flogged.

What is it with some people? Being horrid to old people is just so wrong. Don't they know they'll be old one day?
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I love the taste of seaweed in the morning

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Yum yum... alginates, now yer talking, I love a bit of seaweed in the morning...
          It tastes like............Wales
          Why not?

Comment

Working...
          X