• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just killed my first wasp nest

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just killed my first wasp nest

Only about the size of a tennis ball - but it had to go, since it was on the roof of our garage (hanging down from the overhang at the front). Used the can of wasp killer spray technique, followed half an our later with the "whack with a stick" to knock it off the roof.

I was surprised how many insects were in it, as it was so small. There were also about 50 larvae. German wasps, I think, rather than the common wasp. The queen was lying on the ground writhing around when I went back to inspect, so I stood on it.

I'd have preferred the "nuke from orbit" approach, but the neighbours (Germany and France) wouldn't half complain about it.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

We need to tackle a nest somewhere in the soffit board, I think they're bees rather than wasps though and don't really want to kill them what with their problems...

I s'pose we'll have to do the deed soon though.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

If only mods on here dealt with CUK sockies as decisively ...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        We need to tackle a nest somewhere in the soffit board, I think they're bees rather than wasps though and don't really want to kill them what with their problems...

I s'pose we'll have to do the deed soon though.
        Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oo !

If they are bees, leave them alone.
        They won't bother you unless you pick a fight.

We like bees!

P.S. If you leave windows open, just double check any shoes left out on the bedroom floor.
        Don't ask me how I know.....

Comment

Spooky. I was going to do a thread like this on Thursday.

Got a text from the wife to say there was a wasps nest building in the kids playhouse. Heading towards tennis ball size.

Popped to b&q on the way home. Arrived back. Had a look and there it was hanging in the corner. I popped in and got changed. Combat trousers, sting vest and camouflage paint on lines on my face. I pulled the door back and burst in with foam and wasp spray. 'Its time to buzz off' I said as I sprayed the nest. Some of them made a break for it but I was ready with spray 'Asta la vista baby'. I sprayed the house and retreated to the conservatory.

I and the kids watched as the wasps clawed at the windows to get out of the playhouse. 'Your safe now kids' I said.

I hoovered at least a dozen of them out of there the next day.

Noone ****s with my play house.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

You think the camouflage paint works on wasps? Or did you mean you just applied a whole load of lippy, blusher, eye-liner and mascara before you did the deed? I did wear a balaclava. That's why it's important to do this work after dark. You look such a tit, you don't want anyone observing you.

For bees - call a local beekeeper, they'll remove it for free and give the bees a nice new home.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              You think the camouflage paint works on wasps? Or did you mean you just applied a whole load of lippy, blusher, eye-liner and mascara before you did the deed? I did wear a balaclava. That's why it's important to do this work after dark. You look such a tit, you don't want anyone observing you.

For bees - call a local beekeeper, they'll remove it for free and give the bees a nice new home.
              I used black and yellow. In case it went wrong and the door got stuck I was going to flap my arms around, shout buzz and bounce of the walls. That way I could have fooled them into thinking I was a big queen.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I'm not completely sure the are bees and I'd feel an ejit if I got a beekeeper in and discovered that they are wasps.

Also a long ladder is needed to get at them.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Xog isn't going to be very happy when he reads this.

Don't kill the bees! Get a keeper round as mentioned.

Comment

How does one kill an inanimate object like a wasp nest

The wasps can be killed yes, but not the nest as this is not a living thing.

Diver in pedantic mode

By the way, people who kill honey or bumble bees should be keelhauled
                    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
                    X