PDA

View Full Version : Windows Genuine Advantage

cojak
2nd June 2006, 06:39
What is this cr@p??

M$ loaded it in my last update and it's been trying to get out thru my firewall for the last 2 days.... :tantrum:

Any ideas Dim?

cojak
2nd June 2006, 06:44
Yes I know, I'm awake now...

So over and above all the other stuff that's going on this bloody thing is going to run home to Billy boy everytime I turn my machine on...

I really, really hate M$... :bang:

Francko
2nd June 2006, 06:47
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Genuine_Advantage

cojak
2nd June 2006, 06:53
Ta Francko.

Bitbucket
2nd June 2006, 07:00
Think "Billy" is trying to make people actually pay for the O/S software , which does seem fair

The later versions have a pop up box stating that the O/S is a pirate copy , you cant get rid of it its there to embarass companies into buying a genuine version.

Actually there is a rumour that hes down to his last 20 billion so needs must.

DimPrawn
2nd June 2006, 07:58
Yes I know, I'm awake now...

So over and above all the other stuff that's going on this bloody thing is going to run home to Billy boy everytime I turn my machine on...

I really, really hate M$... :bang:

Sounds like you need to upgrade to Vista. :D

janey
2nd June 2006, 08:19
What is this cr@p??

M$ loaded it in my last update and it's been trying to get out thru my firewall for the last 2 days.... :tantrum:

Any ideas Dim?

I fell into the same trap :tantrum:

Pondlife
2nd June 2006, 08:37
AFAIK it only stops your machine being updated with patches but will still work normally otherwise. Apparently there are cracks available (took all of 24hrs) but it's up to you if you want to trust them.

TheMonkey
2nd June 2006, 08:50
Latest version of Ubuntu Linux was released yesterday. Have a play. Make yourselves feel better:

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Jakes Daddy
2nd June 2006, 08:52
Does this whole thread imply that you are using a pirate version cojak ? Tsk, tsk, tsk - It's people like you ..... :D

DimPrawn
2nd June 2006, 09:08
An genuine OEM version of Windows XP Pro SP2 costs £90 inc VAT and delivery.

Now is that too much to ask for the finest operating system the world has ever seen? Beautifully crafted by professionals, created with love, just for you?

Think of the hours of joy it will bring you.

wc2
2nd June 2006, 09:08
I had this problem (All my XP machine are are genuine)

Just removed the update - Took a little time

Don't allow Microsoft to automatically update - Click custom install what YOU want to install.

MICROSOFT NAGWARE

cojak
2nd June 2006, 09:09
No, it doesn't JD - I'm all legal and above board. It simply shows that my PC security it doing it's job else I wouldn't have noticed... :D

I don't have any hooky code on my machines - it wouldn't look good for an ITIL consultant!

Hubby's machine however... :eek:

I'm putting Dapper Drake onto my laptop this morning, Monkey.. Who needs Vista, eh?