• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Phone companies & House moving

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phone companies & House moving

Why is it so hard?

I'm moving to a house 80m away, on the same pole, never mind exchange, and Im staying with Sky and vendor is on BT so no real issues there.

So to move my package (phone and BB) they have to cancel my current line and BB, connect the new line the next working day, and THEN i can order my BB. This means I'm without broadband for 2-3wks. it's pathetic, and no real reason for it, although they do hide behind Openreach...

I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Originally posted by scooby View Post
    Why is it so hard?

I'm moving to a house 80m away, on the same pole, never mind exchange, and Im staying with Sky and vendor is on BT so no real issues there.

So to move my package (phone and BB) they have to cancel my current line and BB, connect the new line the next working day, and THEN i can order my BB. This means I'm without broadband for 2-3wks. it's pathetic, and no real reason for it, although they do hide behind Openreach...

Is this for real? What has being on the sample pole got to do with it? And you work in IT? LOL

To be fair 2 - 3wks is verging on the ridiculous but have never seen this before.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Is this for real? What has being on the sample pole got to do with it? And you work in IT? Even my mum would know it is more complicated than that. Jesus
      Actually, if you think about it, it is nearly as simple as swapping 2 wires at the exchange.

But as you sooooooo much better than everyone else, do tell what is really involved?

Comment

Is this for real? What has being on the sample pole got to do with it? And you work in IT? LOL

To be fair 2 - 3wks is verging on the ridiculous but have never seen this before.
        And a cheeky edit to boot after a quote! Now where was that big FAIL post you dropped on me the other day??

Comment

Actually, if you think about it, it is nearly as simple as swapping 2 wires at the exchange.

But as you sooooooo much better than everyone else, do tell what is really involved?
          Wires? get with the technology grandad!!

Slight flaw in the argument is that the tech is supposed to make it easier but you get my meaning.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Why is it so hard?

Same situ, Imoved 2 months ago to the building 2 doors down. BT took over a week, sky is dependent on BT also took over a week.

3 weeks no telly was actually lovely, get the wireless out

Bad habit has now got me back into watching the same old tulip

Comment

Wires? get with the technology grandad!!

Slight flaw in the argument is that the tech is supposed to make it easier but you get my meaning.
              OK, my point (and to be fair this is based on copper wire days, especially as we've not been upgraded to fibre yet so hence my interpretation...) but I'm not a telephone tech I'm IT - We're on the same pole, therefore the same cable to the local box, so paired wires into hub, then same cable to exchange (via paired wires again), main exchange cable splits in pairs to final hub connected to computer / numbers etc. In the days pre-fibre the main cables are 250 pair minimum so it is pair to pair from start to finish with hubs in the middle. Similar to RJ45 hubs etc.

So why cant they just move the wires at the local exchange box to switch from this address to new? In theory, I can wander down to the green box and as long as i know the port numbers for my current place and new place, swap them over. The main exchange doesnt really need to know does it? only the billing system would to direct the bills to the correct address.

Oh, and I also cant keep the same number... Explain that one then? especially as my old number is cancelled and put back in the pool BEFORE i get a new number.

What has IT and understanding of telephone exchanges got in common? Very little as quite a different beast!

Comment

It's all down to there being multiple re-sellers involved in the telecoms market.

Your disconnection/reconnection is handled by Sky telling BT about the move, then the order is processed and BT tell Sky it's in place.

The broadband order is processed separately, again Sky request it, then BT check the line is suitable (and don't assume it will be just because you've moved 80yds).

Once the check is completed BT can tell Sky who then gives the go ahead to their engineers to provide BB.

Here's the rub. Because there was once a direct connection between BT Retails and BT Openreach orders between the two could be processed within seconds. I could, back in the day, get a phone line on before the person requesting it got back from the phone box they called me from. Nowadays there is a three day lead time to do the same thing. This is so BT Retail CAN'T use the system connectivity to give them an advantage over companies who have to 'place' orders in a less direct fashion.

It's called progress.

Comment

Oh, and I also cant keep the same number... Explain that one then? especially as my old number is cancelled and put back in the pool BEFORE i get a new number.
                  That sounds like complete BS. There are separate clusters at exchanges, and you can't xfer a number between them, but if the pairs in the same DP they've probably come via the same PCP and SCP.

It sound like Sky either can't or won't handle your request.

Comment

Do you have a business contract with BT?
                    If so this could be the problem, last time we moved from a house where we had a BT Business line to a house that had a BT residential line.

Apparently they are 'different' *cough* bollocks *cough* and so a 'new line' had to be installed. Took the installer about 15 minutes to do it too, when they finally turned up. Well justified the 120 quid charge.
                    Thankfully he ballsed it up which lead to the internet connection dropping every 10 minutes so we got a full refund.
                    Still Invoicing

Comment

Working...
                    X