• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More bicycle lanes .. no thank-you

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More bicycle lanes .. no thank-you

I have just caught that rather marvellous and dashing John Redwood discussing future Conservative plans for transport on the radio.

Anyhow, he caused Mr Smith and I to fall out - so much so that he left the house this morning without the customary kiss.

We both agreed turning left on a redlight was a great idea but I simply cannot countenance more bicycle lanes, especially using the pavement. I have never seen the ones locally used in the ten years they have been there.

Mr Smith is having one of his silly green phases and does not agree. I think he must be spending too much time with some Liberals he knows at the golf club

I'll see how I feel later on. It may be a sandwich buffet for dinner this evening

In Holland cycle lanes work well, but their cities are laid out in such a way that you can fit cycle lanes in. In the UK, putting a cycle lane in usually means reducing the road space.

Turning left on red is something which I had never thought of until I worked in the US, where it is a right turn on red (obviously). It works really well and can't see any reason why it is not taken up here.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

John Redwood is a slug. Oily, odious, and craves office. Can't believe these prats are still around.

Comment

Most towns on the continent were originally laid out with very wide roads to stop the populace being able to barricade them. So now when they want to install bicycle lanes there is plenty of space. Where the roads are older and are too thin to do this they will turn a parallel road into a cycles only path.

In the UK to achieve the same effect they will have to knock down 10s of thousands of buildings.

Not really going to happen is it?
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
          Not really going to happen is it?
          Famous last words....

Livingstone's still keen to knock down a few buildings in West london to make way for his hideous tram system even though the residents were firmly against the idea when "consulted".

Comment

"turning left on a redlight ",

eh ?

anyone care to explain ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
              "turning left on a redlight ",

eh ?

anyone care to explain ?

Milan.
              It's a method of killing cyclists and pedestrians. I think mothers on the school run ought to be allowed to do it.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

As a cyclist in London I find many of the cycle lanes are useless half-baked token efforts. Usually no point hopping on to the pavement to ride along ten feet of green tarmac, and then having to stop and wait to rejoin the road.

Get rid of some of the bus lanes and have a core network of dedicated cycle paths accross the city. Road space should be allocated on the basis of how many people use it.
                Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by BillHicksRIP
                  John Redwood is a slug. Oily, odious, and craves office. Can't believe these prats are still around.
                  Does'nt fit your oily do gooder incompetent leftie liberal image does he?
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

"turning left on a redlight "

When you are at the lights in a left turn only lane and when the lights are on red but there is no traffic. If it is safe to turn left, then you should be able to do it rather than waiting for the lights to change.
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X