• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business use of something non-businessy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business use of something non-businessy

If a business buys something for its offices for use by employees, does that make it "for business use" regardless if the item isn't actually used "for business"? For example if AtW builds a break-room in the company offices with a pool table for employees to use during their breaks, is that 'for business use' or not?

There is a real-life scenario behind this but I deliberately chose a more extreme case first...
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

It all depends upon the situation.

If we are talking about a large company (employing say 500 people)that decides to set up a break room with a pool table, table tennis table etc then this will probably be ok.

If, on the other hand, a sole contractor sets up a 'break room' in his home, next to his office, then this is unlikely to be allowed!

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post

If we are talking about a large company (employing say 500 people)that decides to set up a break room with a pool table, table tennis table etc then this will probably be ok.

If, on the other hand, a sole contractor sets up a 'break room' in his home, next to his office, then this is unlikely to be allowed!

Alan
      So I might be onto a loser trying to claim for a Gaggia coffee machine!
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        So I might be onto a loser trying to claim for a Gaggia coffee machine!
        Probably, but it is all about scale in reality.

The chances of HMRC picking it this up would be quite small but obviously there is a chance that they will!

Comment

You still trying to get that 52" LED TV though the books under relaxation and motivational tools?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post

Alan
            Is it clearly defined WHY one is OK and the other is not (other than 'common sense') though, that's what I'm getting at.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            You still trying to get that 52" LED TV though the books under relaxation and motivational tools?
            No not quite... the question which prompted this WAS about a TV though. I work 100% from home and have a dedicated home office in which I have an old TV which is failing. So the issue is that as well as being usable as a PC monitor (this is likely to be the case not just a cheap excuse), it is something used while I am at work; I am not simply trying to sneak a TV through. I only use this room of the house as an office, I don't come here except to work.

Comment

You're back to the Wholly and Exclusively thing really. If you own IBM then keeping your staff happy is important, so buying them a pool table could be justified. The cost is also likely to form 0.0000001% of your annual expenses, so from an audit perspective it's not material.

A contractor spending £1k on a new TV, when there's no business need for that TV, would be different both in terms of use and scale. Of course if you need it for work there may be more argument, but would need to be balanced out against personal availability/use.
              ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

[QUOTE=d000hg;1565870 I don't come here except to work.[/QUOTE]

...you sure about that
                http://www.linkedin.com/in/sallyfletcher

Comment

CUK counts as work!

Comment