• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hello from newbie contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from newbie contractor

Hi,

I've just been made redundant from my last permanent role and thought that this would be a good time to get back into contracting, I was contracting for a couple of years ago. So far I've been put forward and had several interviews for roles, but no contracts as yet. Not sure what the problem is. I thought that contracts would be quicker to get started on.

What's the contract market like now? Does it take long to get started with your first contract?

Thanks
    Stephen

Stephen, I would like to know more about it too.
    What area are you in? What skills?

Comment

Market is the worst ever it's fair to say....

Comment

Great just what we need more of you taking our jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by micromoth View Post
          What's the contract market like now? Does it take long to get started with your first contract?
          Welcome

No one can say what it's going to be like for you, it's different for everyone but broadly speaking the market is not great at the moment to be honest. Have a look around and see what's there - keep your options open for contract or permie.

Have a read of the First Timers guide and other stuff on the right side of this page, that way you won't be coming on here asking dumb questions.

When you pitch for a contract remember that your hourly rate has got to be your permie salary / 1000. Sounds generous but remember that you will be self employed with none of the permie benefits like sick pay, annual leave or redundancy to fall back on.

Good luck
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
          X