• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No one ever got fired for buying IBM

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No one ever got fired for buying IBM

Which frankly is ridiculous. They should have their bollocks stamped on. By an elephant. A particularly fat elephant with some particularly fat people riding on it.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Is anybody still buying them outside of top 1000 companies?

Comment

I don't know, I only work for top 500 companies.

Unfortunately the current bunch have bought their tulipty tulip and now I have to get the rubber gloves on.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        I don't know, I only work for top 500 companies.

Unfortunately the current bunch have bought their tulipty tulip and now I have to get the rubber gloves on.
        Past 3 clients have all fallen foul of IBM at one time or other. In one case IBM walked off site because the relationship was so poor.
        "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Some of their stuff is OK but an awful lot of the stuff I've come across in the last few years is tulipe, particularly with some of the eclipse based tools you wonder if they read the manual before they started developing the plugins, there is some completely random tulip in there and they seem to be optimised for use on 30" screens and useless on anything smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            Some of their stuff is OK but an awful lot of the stuff I've come across in the last few years is tulipe, particularly with some of the eclipse based tools you wonder if they read the manual before they started developing the plugins, there is some completely random tulip in there and they seem to be optimised for use on 30" screens and useless on anything smaller.
            If you think their software is bad wait until you try their "business consulting services"
            "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

What do Natwest use?
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                What do Natwest use?
                ipads
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  What do Natwest use?
                  I thought you wrote it?

Comment

To be fair, that was only true up to the introduction of the IBM PC in 1981.

Anybody who bought one of those or its derivatives is probably more deserving of sick leave than sacking.

I first used an IBM PC - a proper one, with a cassette port and BASIC in ROM it was, although they were just curiosities - in 1985; I was working with it at the systems programming level, doing stuff like driving the 8250 UART directly, but I had the full Technical Manual, including the assembly language BIOS source code. I spent the first day trying to work out why it was superior to other machines of the time, such as the BBC Micro.

By the end of the day, I'd concluded that it was a crock of tulip compared to the BBC. Sadly, dumb people kept on buying them and their ilk and, in a kind of technical X Factor, garbage won out over quality
                    Last edited by NickFitz; 26 June 2012, 02:01. Reason: Superfluous comma, and typo.

Comment

Working...
                    X