• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The British army is doomed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The British army is doomed

I am now convinced that should we come to fight a war against anyone we will lose.

My brother (a former major in 1para) attempted to come to a family lunch on Sunday. From Putney to New Eltham. He needed advice on the cycle route which he then announced was too hard and far despite being basically 2 roads from Victoria(A202 and A20 - he cycles to work near Victoria). I looked up trains for him to find that there was engineering work so advised him to get to Eltham where I would give him a lift.

He set off at 11am (quite how he expected to get to my house in 30 minutes I am not sure) and then called at 1:30pm from Eltham station saying "I am getting back on the train - its just too far". No-one in the family could change his mind.

Had he communicated that he missed his train at London Bridge by 3 minutes I would have told him to get back on the jubilee line and collected him from the O2.

Is the standard of elite regiment army officers really that bad? I assumed that they could get 13 miles anywhere in the world by using only the sun for navigation and living off what they can kill.

Presumably now in the usual cuk manner when the army is mentioned I am going to get lots of abuse. Bring it on.....

Which just goes to prove that the RLC is really what makes the army tick.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      I am now convinced that should we come to fight a war against anyone we will lose.

My brother (a former major in 1para) attempted to come to a family lunch on Sunday. From Putney to New Eltham. He needed advice on the cycle route which he then announced was too hard and far despite being basically 2 roads from Victoria(A202 and A20 - he cycles to work near Victoria). I looked up trains for him to find that there was engineering work so advised him to get to Eltham where I would give him a lift.

He set off at 11am (quite how he expected to get to my house in 30 minutes I am not sure) and then called at 1:30pm from Eltham station saying "I am getting back on the train - its just too far". No-one in the family could change his mind.

Had he communicated that he missed his train at London Bridge by 3 minutes I would have told him to get back on the jubilee line and collected him from the O2.

Is the standard of elite regiment army officers really that bad? I assumed that they could get 13 miles anywhere in the world by using only the sun for navigation and living off what they can kill.

Presumably now in the usual cuk manner when the army is mentioned I am going to get lots of abuse. Bring it on.....
      They can. Then they leave the army (former major as you say), and if they don't get a job on the telly making unfit celebrities eat raccoons' testicles like Bear Grylls, they continue eating the fried breakfasts without doing the hours and hours of gruelling exercise and turn into big fat heffalumps. Perhaps they've earned the right to do so.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Abuse
        Abuse
        Abuse

Comment

He never left his house but didn't want to come to lunch with his wimpy brother.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            He never left his house but didn't want to come to lunch with his boorish brother.
            ftfy

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Which just goes to prove that the RLC is really what makes the army tick.
              err - what is the RLC?

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              They can. Then they leave the army (former major as you say), and if they don't get a job on the telly making unfit celebrities eat raccoons' testicles like Bear Grylls, they continue eating the fried breakfasts without doing the hours and hours of gruelling exercise and turn into big fat heffalumps. Perhaps they've earned the right to do so.
              Good point.

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
              He never left his house but didn't want to come to lunch with his wimpy brother.
              This was suggested. However my brother only interacts with those he wants something from. The only reason he was coming down is he wants me to get him a trading job at the hedge fund I have just joined. Thankfully he has never had children.

Originally posted by CodeCobbler View Post
              Abuse
              Abuse
              Abuse

rofl

Comment

My dear brother (currently on active service in Afghanistan), a senior NCO so not like these useless Rupert's but actual soldiers, a man who has served several tours of Kosovo, Northern Ireland, Iraq and Afghanistan, stared death in the face and survived has shown me remarkable insight into the courage of the armed forces when A) Shouted down to his wife when I last stayed with them "I can't find my moisturiser, I am not going out without moisturising" and B) Was reduced to tear's and vomiting one Christmas when my 18 month old son filled his nappy due to the stench (I will give him the fact it was a bad one but still).

Fellow forumites, I present to you my brother, savior to all mankind
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  My dear brother (currently on active service in Afghanistan), a senior NCO so not like these useless Rupert's but actual soldiers, a man who has served several tours of Kosovo, Northern Ireland, Iraq and Afghanistan, stared death in the face and survived has shown me remarkable insight into the courage of the armed forces when A) Shouted down to his wife when I last stayed with them "I can't find my moisturiser, I am not going out without moisturising" and B) Was reduced to tear's and vomiting one Christmas when my 18 month old son filled his nappy due to the stench (I will give him the fact it was a bad one but still).

Fellow forumites, I present to you my brother, savior to all mankind
                  This would suggest that not only the army is in crisis, but modern man is facing an existential crisis.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    This would suggest that not only the army is in crisis, but modern man is facing an existential crisis.
                    Jeez. Men these days.

I wash my face with broken glass and brush my teeth with barbed wire.

Comment

Working...
                    X