• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Employees to be taxed according to how much fun they have

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employees to be taxed according to how much fun they have

Tax crackdown on company awaydays - FT.com

Too much fun or too many drinks at a team building day or a corporate event will be viewed as a benefit in kind and taxed accordingly
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

I can't access the article, but is this in relation to the £150 limit? And anything above that being a BIK?
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Try this one Financial news, business, blogs, finance director jobs - Director of Finance Online

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

I love this quote:

Explains Joe Quinn, Director, of Pinsent Masons: “If tax inspectors think that there is too much of a fun or social element to a company’s offsite event then they should be treated as though they are a taxable treat for employees.”

Whatever next

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
          I love this quote:

Explains Joe Quinn, Director, of Pinsent Masons: “If tax inspectors think that there is too much of a fun or social element to a company’s offsite event then they should be treated as though they are a taxable treat for employees.”

Whatever next
          So.... if permies don't have much fun doing their day jobs..........
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
            So.... if permies don't have much fun doing their day jobs..........
            Oooooh do you think there could be a negative tax? I hate my job, please give me a rebate based on the anti-BIK of the awful Christmas party?

(this is an example only, please note InTouch is a fab place to work)

Comment

So you get taxed more for enjoying your job and having fun and a tax rebate for having an awful job that you don't enjoy - just a way for politicians to give themselves a payrise I reckon

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

The company I work for has in the past had some huge team building jollies.

[Ducks for cover] It does seem to me that a days team build at the races, slap up dinner, dance, free bar, night in a decent hotel is perhaps reasonably taxable - at least in part.

However, where it is a problem if most of the events I wouldn't actually WANT to go to; not my sort of thing. However attendance is compulsory.

So, force me to do something I don't want to and then tax me for it. Great

I also seem to recall there was a tax case some time ago involving an airline flying people around on a shiny new plane which was assessed as a benefit to those involved. I guess there is at least a partial precedent.

Comment

But since I don't attend these type of permie events, this doesn't affect me.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    But since I don't attend these type of permie events, this doesn't affect me.
                    but what about your company christmas party ?

Comment

Working...
                    X