• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2012 'Top to Toe' Expedition

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2012 'Top to Toe' Expedition

It's only a week now till we set off for Calais on our 2012 'Top to toe' expedition.

So far we have a rough plan for 13 days, with about 14 days of resting to slot in somewhere,Oslo and Naples probably, and 1 day contingency, if I can persuade Mrs EO to go into Russia.

day1 Manchester,England -Kiel, Germany via Calais
    day 2 Oslo, Norway
    day 3 Trondheim, Norway
    day 4 Narvik Arctic circle
    day 5 Verdalsora, Norway
    day 6 Oslo, Norway
    day 7 Copenhagen, Denmark
    day 8, Prague, Czech republic
    day 9 Vienna, Austria
    day 10 Naples, Italy
    day 11 Lyons, France
    day 12, Calais, France
    day 13 Manchester , England

I will put some photies up, esp the fjords, the aurora, and any wildlife that we might see.

We did all the deserts in Australia, and the wilderness in British Columbia and everyone kept saying to me, 'This area is the size of Western Europe'
    Well, I'm going to go there to check it out. Maybe Western Europe is also the size of Western Europe.

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Bloody contractors! Always on holiday!
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I hope you enjoy it.

The Arctic Circle in midsummer is something else - sitting in a pub garden drinking a beer at midnight while it is still daylight is hard work to make sense of.

Although, you people from 'oop-north' probably get that every summer so would be quite used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
        I hope you enjoy it.

The Arctic Circle in midsummer is something else - sitting in a pub garden drinking a beer at midnight while it is still daylight is hard work to make sense of.

Although, you people from 'oop-north' probably get that every summer so would be quite used to it.
        I have photos taken at midnight in Narvik, back when I was 19.

I have slept on a bench on the station platform there cos they shut the waiting room overnight and no one would give me a lift when I tried hitching to Trondheim.

There may be a train to Trondheim now but there wasn't then.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Bit of a long drive day 7 - day 8?

Comment

Seems a bit of an arduous trip for a holiday; there's no day 13, getting ludicrously drunk, or day 8 spending 8 hours watching stripping totty, or day 3, just sitting down and reading for the day...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
              Seems a bit of an arduous trip for a holiday; there's no day 13, getting ludicrously drunk, or day 8 spending 8 hours watching stripping totty, or day 3, just sitting down and reading for the day...

Cruel.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Budapest is worth a visit, if you're passing.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  It's only a week now till we set off for Calais on our 2012 'Top to toe' expedition.

So far we have a rough plan for 13 days, with about 14 days of resting to slot in somewhere,Oslo and Naples probably, and 1 day contingency, if I can persuade Mrs EO to go into Russia.

day1 Manchester,England -Kiel, Germany via Calais
                  day 2 Oslo, Norway
                  day 3 Trondheim, Norway
                  day 4 Narvik Arctic circle
                  day 5 Verdalsora, Norway
                  day 6 Oslo, Norway
                  day 7 Copenhagen, Denmark
                  day 8, Prague, Czech republic
                  day 9 Vienna, Austria
                  day 10 Naples, Italy
                  day 11 Lyons, France
                  day 12, Calais, France
                  day 13 Manchester , England

I will put some photies up, esp the fjords, the aurora, and any wildlife that we might see.

We did all the deserts in Australia, and the wilderness in British Columbia and everyone kept saying to me, 'This area is the size of Western Europe'
                  Well, I'm going to go there to check it out. Maybe Western Europe is also the size of Western Europe.

Beware.
                  The Italians will at the minimum attempt to rob you car. The UK number plates will be a big giveaway. As a youth I first travelled to Italy by car in the late 60s, the car doors were forced open. I eve driven there on a number of occasions and every time the car has been broken into. The last journey was the last time I will ever drive there on UK plates, car broken into twice in two days and attempted hijacking in Naples and the third day.
                  Never leave you car parked other than behind metal gates and security. The Hotel in Naples was great. It had high security mental barriers so the car could be left and the one can use local transport.
                  Be very careful in banks an FX bureaux, they tend to count money and remove notes with the slip of the hand.

Never ever hand over you jacket with keys in it to a restaurant. Yes they did rob the car again.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Last time in Rome, I was getting felt up on the tube, and before I realised it wasn't my wife, I had my wallet removed. Luckily caught her (the thief) by grabbing her hand, and and she punched it, shook it, and jumped off at the next station, with my wallet falling onto the tracks. Had to let her go, and it was a bastard getting it back.

People will watch you withdraw money from banks, and will follow you looking for a good moment to rob you.

I was in rome once before, and hating to admit to this, I got into a discussion about money with this bloke in a car it is a long story). I told him that I only had €200. He asked me to prove it, so I did, and he snatched the wallet from my hand. Cannot believe I did it (and nor did my apoplectic wife). Hey ho. Hating to generalise, especially given one of my nans is Italian, but it is a country full of fly be nites, thieves and crooks.

Comment

Working...
                    X