• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jersey threatens to break with UK over tax backlash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jersey threatens to break with UK over tax backlash

A barrage of regulatory clampdowns and political attacks on the Channel Islands' controversial financial industry has prompted one of Jersey's most senior politicians to call for preparations to be made to break the "thrall of Whitehall" and declare independence from the UK.

Sir Philip Bailhache, the island's assistant chief minister, said: "I feel that we get a raw deal. I feel it's not fair … I think that the duty of Jersey politicians now is to try to explain what the island is doing and not to take things lying down.

"The island should be prepared to stand up for itself and should be ready to become independent if it were necessary in Jersey's interest to do so."

In a Guardian interview, he said strained relations with the UK over the past five years had made it "very plain" that Jersey's interests were not always aligned with those of Britain.

"I hope that the constitutional relationship with the UK will continue. But if it becomes plain that our interests in fact lie in being independent it doesn't seem to be that we should bury our head in the sand and say we're not going to do that."

For decades Jersey's tax, legal and regulatory framework has been structured to draw in the financial activities of multinational businesses and wealthy individuals. But a growing backlash has seen politicians in the UK and elsewhere lashing out at aggressive schemes leeching tax revenues from the increasingly stretched public wallets.

François Hollande swept to power in France last month with a manifesto pledge to stop French banks operating in tax havens.

Source: Jersey threatens to break with UK over tax backlash | UK news | The Guardian

AtW's comment - they should offer Russia to have long lease airbase with nuclear weapons or something to really have an effect

Jersey isn't part of the UK, constitutionally the UK responsible for its defence but that is about as far as it goes.

So they don't want UK defence?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      Didn't do 'em much good in WWII as I recall.
      They are nearly French so there was only so much we could do, probably all smoking Gauloises and fornicating whilst Jerry landed on the beaches.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Who knows? Luxemburg is the richest country in the world, per capita, so maybe a little nation doing their own thing is the way to go.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          They are nearly French so there was only so much we could do, probably all smoking Gauloises and fornicating whilst Jerry landed on the beaches.
          Flippin' Crapos!

You'd never catch a Donkey behaving like that!

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

Jersey isn't part of the UK, constitutionally the UK responsible for its defence but that is about as far as it goes. ...
            It's part of the Duchy of Normandy. Has been since 911 when King Charles of France granted it to Rollo the Ganger. So HMQ would still own it.

Mind you, Normandy was once part of the same Duchy
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
            X