• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Words of wisdom from the Business / Contracts Forum

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Words of wisdom from the Business / Contracts Forum

This is a section of a post that advises what type of paper to use if MAILING your CV in:

Originally posted by deforce
    Finally, if you're using paper, make sure it is Conqueror, medium weight, off-white in colour, paper clips never staples.
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

What's wrong with staples? I always find paperclips fall off yet staples provide a far more secure way of fixing your CV pages together. Affix a business card by paperclip, by all means, as this would be designed to be easily removed but you don't want page 2 of CV to disappear because the oaf reading it can't keep all the pages together.

Comment

Well, I have a counter argument, I know of one Manager who immediately binned anything with a paperclip. He was a little odd to say the least, but that was his way, like it or the highway.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
        Well, I have a counter argument, I know of one Manager who immediately binned anything with a paperclip. He was a little odd to say the least, but that was his way, like it or the highway.
        Does anybody actually read CVs, irrespective of the contents ... at any rate I have found a better method, better than staple or clips, a crispy Fiver makes a great way of not only binding your cv but really gets attention.

I dont know why.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
          crispy Fiver makes a great way of not only binding your cv but really gets attention.
          Fiver! Is that one of those things permies have in their wallets, I put all mine in charity boxes, give them to the kids to use as play money or just say "Keep the change".

Fings aint wot the used to be
          Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
            I'd have no trouble making that choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon
              This is a section of a post that advises what type of paper to use if MAILING your CV in
              Oh dear, don't remember typing MAILING anywhere, to clarify.......

Scenario: Turn up at interview, hiring manager says, "Have you got a copy of your CV, I've left my copy on my desk / I've just come from another meeting / The dog ate the copy the agent sent me". Contractor says, "Uhm no, I didn't bother bringing a copy with me..." Oops!

The other stuff:

Conqueror Paper: Helps them to justify your rate as you are a quality service.

Off-white: Stands out from the crowd / pile of 80g/m2 'nicked from the office photocopier' lot

Paper Clips: Other person turns up at the interview and wants a copy of your CV too, needs to pop to the photocopier to run a copy. Hey presto! How thoughtful! Doesn't break a nail or stab their finger removing staples

Happy to help

Comment

"Conqueror Paper: Helps them to justify your rate as you are a quality service."

No, use Adobe Publisher and select velum as the background. Or on the cheap write you CV in HTML. Flashing bullet points are a good start to catch the agents eye. I have photo at the top of my CV; when you click on it plays a wav file greeting. This really impresses agents and clients.
                HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

I have my CV engraved on 2 foot high granite slabs. It makes an impact.

Threaded.

Comment

Working...
                  X