• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Funny thing about the Chinese

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny thing about the Chinese

When I were a lad, my dad had a big allotment.
    He was a flipping expert grower of veggies, cane fruit etc. And he took great pleasure in training me up to be the same. He was the sort of bloke who didnt just give things lables, he explained the underlying reasons and principles.

One of the principles he taught me was 'hardening off'.

When you grow a seedling in the greenhouse, then re-pot it and put it outside, it will get a shock, because of the lower temperature. And at night, when it gets really cool, the seedling will die.
    So you take the seedlings and 'harden' them, by leaving them outside, for longer and longer periods, until they are so tough, you can leave them out overnight.

It's common sense. It's logical. It fits in with what we know about ourselves - we can acclimatize to new situations over time, we can get a tan, for example, that protects us from burning.

Funny thing about the Chinese though. They did not agree.

When my dad was long gone, China started to open up a bit and some ideas started to get swapped, and one of them was to do with horticulture.

It's not the cold that kills the seedlings, it's movement. The breeze bends the stems, and they are not flexible so the capilleries snap.

The Chinese get round this, not by 'hardening off' but by running threads of silk on a stick over all the seedlings to simulate a light breeze. And they are right. A bit of that and the seedlings can be put out on a very cold night and survive.

whats always struck me about my previous misconception is that a set of basic facts can lead to such an obvious conclusion, but one thats completely wrong.

Last edited by EternalOptimist; 27 June 2012, 21:09.
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Another funny thng about the Chinese (according to a policeman I know) is that when they handle things they leave very little DNA evidence.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

Another funny thng about the Chinese (according to a policeman I know) is that when they handle things they leave very little DNA evidence.
      They tend to avoid milk and dairy products, so maybe their sweat is more watery than westerners'
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

.. When you grow a seedling in the greenhouse, then re-pot it and put it outside, it will get a shock, because of the lower temperature. And at night, when it gets really cool, the seedling will die.
        So you take the seedlings and 'harden' them, by leaving them outside, for longer and longer periods, until they are so tough, you can leave them out overnight. ...
        An article in last week's New Scientist claimed that plants can detect noises.

So they may be stimulated by music or soothing talk, and Prince Charles was right all along
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          An article in last week's New Scientist claimed that plants can detect noises.

So they may be stimulated by music or soothing talk, and Prince Charles was right all along
          Well all atw's plants have died so it must be true.

Comment

Working...
          X