• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Secret History of the Street

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Secret History of the Street

BBC Two - The Secret History of Our Streets, Portland Road

For anyone who missed it, this was a fantastic program about how a particular street in London turned from a slum street into one of the richest places in London.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

You have to laugh one guy calling his little patch a village and the neighboring tuliphole another village. And the Spanish banker trying to convince himself that being mugged at gunpoint wasn't such a big deal. Deluded.

Comment

Was Sasguru in it?
      How far was his council flat eco shed from the nice houses?
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

My sister drove through somewhere called Leyton (think that's how it's spelt) in London with my Dad and she said he looked upset by how it had changed.

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
          You have to laugh one guy calling his little patch a village and the neighboring tuliphole another village. And the Spanish banker trying to convince himself that being mugged at gunpoint wasn't such a big deal. Deluded.
          and a feeble attempt at pulling both sides together by comparing chappy who went to cornwall in a caravan to toff who sold up and shipped out to a field and him bathing out of a bucket.... pants

the difference is that the rich guy has options (and mummy and daddys mansion was probably in the other field and out of shot)

great series though - on iplayer if you missed the last ones

Comment

There was similar program on last week about Caledonian Road that heads north from Kings Cross.

Lived just off it when I first came to London in 2005 and amazed at what it used to be.

It seemed to be the abbatoir of London, and now where the slaughter house was sit some nice looking flats.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              My sister drove through somewhere called Leyton (think that's how it's spelt) in London with my Dad and she said he looked upset by how it had changed.
              It's a tuliphole.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Loved the Cypriot chap last week who ignored the planners completely & just did what he wanted.

Though I wouldn't like to live in one of those basement flats of his.
                Bit (a lot) of a dodgy geezer, he seemed convinced he was providing an important service to the area.

Seemed like he owned most of the road.
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                X