• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House of Lords reform

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House of Lords reform

This has got me thinking...

Why not just abolish the House of Lords and replace it with.....nothing!
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post

because it acts as a counter balance to the idiots in the house of commons
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Er, because then there would be no one to keep the Government of the day 'in check'? Also, lots of Bills are introduced via the Lords because there just isnt enough Parliamentary time to introduce what a Government wants in the Commons.

Why dont you investigate the British Constitution and Politics then you might have a better understanding? Its available from MacMillan Press I believe.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        Why dont you investigate the British Constitution and Politics then you might have a better understanding? Its available from MacMillan Press I believe.
        Is it official written edition?

Comment

This is another ill thought out piece of legislation. More politicians with their noses in the electoral trough.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            This is another ill thought out piece of legislation. More politicians with their noses in the electoral trough.
            It just seems to be a trough. Nothing electoral about it. If there are any life peers left they need abolishing straight away - and replaced with nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              Er, because then there would be no one to keep the Government of the day 'in check'? Also, lots of Bills are introduced via the Lords because there just isnt enough Parliamentary time to introduce what a Government wants in the Commons.
              If the majority of both houses are from the same party, legislation will just be rubber stamped, I assume the House of Commons will still have the last say, so at the very least it will be a delaying chamber.

There is no reason why the scrutiny if new legislation can be solely done by the Commons, I would have no objection to Commons committees bringing on some experts to assist with complex bills.

Just think outside the box, just because we have always had two chambers, there is no reason why we have to it the future.

Sweden, Denmark, Norway, New Zealand, Hungary.....they all seem to get by with just one chamber.
              "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Sweden, Denmark, Norway, New Zealand, Hungary.....they all seem to get by with just one chamber.
                We could save more money by having no chambers - like Zimbabwe!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  We could save more money by having no chambers - like Zimbabwe!
                  Just wait till Blair regains power
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    It just seems to be a trough. Nothing electoral about it. If there are any life peers left they need abolishing straight away - and replaced with nothing.
                    Or what about a system where it is full of people with a solid education, a good deal of money (thereby less likely to be bribed) and see it as their duty to serve the country? I never worked out what was so bad with that.

Comment

Working...
                    X