• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Frane to switch off their internet.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frane to switch off their internet.

Le internet caput!

I heard a tale back in my BT days that this was based on Prestel, and the BT rep who sold the thing to France retired off the bonus he got for the sale.

Minitel was great!

Comment

But unlike Prestel, everyone could afford Minitel.

Apart from ease of use, two other factors ensured Minitel's success. First was that it was distributed free of charge by the then state-owned France Telecom (or its predecessor the PTT).

This meant that even the poorest of households contained a set, subsidised by the taxpayer.
      By late 1984 or so France Telecom were able to scrap the Paris telephone directories and give everyone a Minitel instead. By saving print and distribution costs and moving to charging for Minitel directory enquiries they saved quite a chunk of money to offset the Minitel costs.

Sysman in "when I moved into my first apartment in Paris, the stack of telephone directories provided a comfortable seat" mode.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

P.S. I once asked about the cost of Prestel in Dixons / wherever and the salesman told me to forget it as I couldn't afford it.

I pressed him on the matter, and decided that though I could afford it, it was a rip off.
        Last edited by Sysman; 28 June 2012, 16:16. Reason: s/Minitel/Prestel/
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

My Dad got Prestel for our BBC B. It had this coupler that you plugged the handset of the phone into. I remember it clearly as you used to be able to down load games and the cost was the price of the call. On serveral occasions there was a hickup on the phoneline which would make a mess of the download and you were therefore charged for something you didn't receive properly. The loss of pocket money was most painful.
          Last edited by The_Equalizer; 28 June 2012, 14:46.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
            My Son got Prestel for our BBC B. It had this coupler that you plugged the handset of the phone into. I remember it clearly as you used to be able to down load games and the cost was the price of the call. On serveral occasions there was a hickup on the phoneline which would make a mess of the download and you were therefore charged for something you didn't receive properly. The loss of pocket money was most painful.
            FTFY
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I had a Prestel setup at home using a green screen and modem on a 286. There were two gateways via Prestel, I forget the names. Booked airline seats and there was FA security for data.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I worked on Prestel.

It was based on GEC computers, and programmed in Babbage.

Comment

Was it better than FIDOnet?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Was it better than FIDOnet?
                    I don't know. I do know that the processing was quick and Babbage was pretty cool.

Comment

Working...
                    X