• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

JPMorgan's London Whale Losses Could Hit $9 Billion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The New York Times reports that JPMorgan Chase‘s losing “London Whale” trades on a credit derivatives index could now cost the bank $9 billion, more than quadruple the $2 billion loss the bank was sitting on when Chairman and Chief Executive Jamie Dimon admitted the blunder May 10.

JPMorgan's London Whale Losses Could Hit $9 Billion, Bank's Shares Slump - Forbes

Looks like they did not pay enough to attract real top banking talent

What kind of blunder was it? A single rogue trader, or a strategic errors by a group or the whole bank?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Apparently it was a "hedging" scheme, so in theory money should not be lost because if it is a proper hedging position then loss in that position should be countered by gain in another

I was doing some proper currency risk hedging today.

Comment

Another day, another banking crisis or 10.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          What kind of blunder was it? A single rogue trader, or a strategic errors by a group or the whole bank?
          Neither. It was one trader who mispriced. He is still at JPM. I am just pleased I left 2 weeks after the story broke as unlikely to be bonuses this year.

Best still the hedge fund I joined it alledgedly one the the beneficaries of JPM giving away pounds for 72p.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Neither. It was one trader who mispriced. He is still at JPM. I am just pleased I left 2 weeks after the story broke as unlikely to be bonuses this year.
            Keeping a well paid job is a big bonus, don't you think?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Keeping a well paid job is a big bonus, don't you think?
              No. I have to pay London prices for things. I bet butlers are 10 a penny in Brum.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Apparently it was a "hedging" scheme, so in theory money should not be lost because if it is a proper hedging position then loss in that position should be countered by gain in another

I was doing some proper currency risk hedging today.
                Going anywhere nice?
                "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                X