• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Had my first 'bad' interview in years yesterday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had my first 'bad' interview in years yesterday

It's been fairly quiet up North for the past few months, so I was pleased yesterday when I managed to get an interview for a gig that involves a fairly meaty project in the Financial Services industry, that I'm well-suited to on a technical level, and that would see me through to the end of the year. It started off well; CV turned around within 24 hours, agent a nice competent chap that I'd worked with before, and it was an 100% skills match for once (which is unusual when the job spec lists nine discrete technologies, some of which are direct competitors to one another). When I arrived, the place was really nice, and to cap it all off they even fared well in my "Reception Test". [I invariably find that if the person manning the reception desk is nice, then that's generally a good place to work. Because reception is fairly near the bottom of the hierarchy in most organisations, whatever the place's internal culture is like is usually reflected in how happy the person doing that job is to be there. This also works in reverse: I've always found when I've been hiring technical staff that the receptionist's opinion of them has been pretty insightful – whilst candidates are always of course civil to me in the interview room, someone that can't even be nice to a receptionist is generally also someone that won't work well in a team.]

When all those positives are lined up, I'm usually pretty good at interviews. From contracting, I've done enough of them, and so know the pitfalls to avoid like wittering on too much, or being too wishy-washy and failing to get your strengths across. However, in this particular one, I just felt I hadn't fired on all cylinders for whatever reason on the day. I didn't come out thinking "yep, that went well", and I'm fairly sure I didn't get the gig (no definite feedback either way yet, which is in itself pretty telling – contract gigs that are going ahead usually turn around far quicker than this). My only slight excuse is that it was one of those "interviews over coffee" things that I usually hate: I prefer interviews to be held in surroundings that respect the privacy of the process and cut out any distractions. This one was held in the soft seating area of their on-site canteen, and they spent the first 35 minutes or so of the hour we spoke telling me what they wanted, before handing over to me to let me explain how I could help fulfil their brief. Within that time, there were a couple of groups of existing employees nearby having social conversations at about the same noise level as we were trying to speak. I can't blame my bad performance just on that, though. I simply had an off day for once. I wouldn't have given me the gig if I had been interviewing me based on my performance at interview. Bah humbug.

Never mind, keep looking.
    Last edited by Gentile; 29 June 2012, 15:19. Reason: typo

Never mind Dear - it happens to be best of us..

Keep going.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I had a strange one yesterday too.
      About 10 min in they decided I was way over qualified for the role. Then spent the rest of the interview picking my brains.
      If I don't get the role I think I will send them an invoice.
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

The feedback I got from one last year was that I was 'too good'.

Actually I think that the Senior Manager in the interview took a dislike to me because I wasn't frightened of him.

These things happen.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Cheers, m'dears. It's all experience, I suppose. Even the bad stuff (perhaps especially the bad stuff) teaches you something about how to go about things better next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
            I know the pitfalls to avoid like wittering on too much
            Word count: 505.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Word count: 505.
              Yeah, but I don't want to work for you, Pet.

Comment

This is like watching Loose women.....
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Try showing a bit of leg, works great for me.
                  Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    This is like watching Loose women.....
                    Daytime TV, eh? How do you find time to watch that I wonder?

Comment

Working...
                    X